PPS has historically provided limited health services to students as outlined in Administrative Directive 4.50.021-AD.
Current level of screenings in PPS:
- Students in pre-K, kindergarten, and grades one, three, five and seven receive a basic vision screening once a year. Parents will be advised of screening results and referral recommendations. Students in other grades are referred as needed.
- Students in pre-K, kindergarten, and grades one receive a basic hearing screening once a year. Parents will be advised of screening results and referral recommendations. Students in other grades are referred as needed.
- A daily fluoride tablet program is offered upon request at no cost to schools or families.
The core goal of ViDA is to serve as an innovative collaborative partnership that provides vision, dental, and hearing services to any and all elementary and middle school students in participating ViDA schools. Portland Public Schools seeks to bring a variety of partners together to better serve our students and to provide more comprehensive screenings that were previously only being provided to select grades. With more comprehensive screenings, and free exams or referrals, our goal is to diagnose any vision, dental, or hearing problems early and to prevent and treat issues that might eventually lead to more severe problems. This not only keeps students in school but also helps keep students happy and healthy and achieving academically.
Other important goals for the program are:
- Students come to school ready to learn and have the glasses, hearing aides, and/or dental care they require
- Students that cannot afford Vision, Dental, and/or Audiometric screenings receive the screenings or exams free of charge
- Collaborate with partners that share similar vision, dental, and hearing goals and philosophy as PPS
- Minimize disruption to schools by health organizations to a minimum
- Ensure that no instructional time is lost for students
- Assessable and free for low income parents and guardians to address student vision, dental, and hearing needs
- Provide prevention education and resources to students and parents