Upcoming Events for Woodlawn Parents
Between opportunities Woodlawn offers to our parents and others offered by the district, we felt a little real estate here on the front page was needed to keep everyone in the loop. Check back from time to time for updates.
Woodlawn PK-8 School is nestled on the edge of Woodlawn Park in North Portland, with views of Mount St. Helens, historic Woodlawn Park, Woodlawn Children’s Garden and Mount Hood.
Our diverse population creates a rich multicultural atmosphere. Woodlawn views learning as a partnership among students, families and teachers. We strive to provide a caring and supportive community where students are encouraged to become active learners.
Woodlawn teachers, staff and community partners work together to:
- Use a school-wide, evidence-based positive-behavior support system to foster a safe learning environment.
- Engage parents as partners in their children’s education at home and at school.
- Respect cultural diversity while advocating for equity in our school community.
- Demonstrate best practices to prepare all students for their next academic level.
- Utilize a variety of assessments to guide and inform our instruction and monitor student progress.
Engagement for Learning
- Woodlawn cultivates a safe, friendly learning environment that challenges students to develop their talents and strive for excellence.
- Classroom teachers engage students in meaningful educational experiences to make real-world connections. Staff members help students create a plan for their future and give them skills to reach their life goals.
- Core subject areas at each grade level include a balanced approach to literacy, the Bridges math program and Foss Science kits.
Woodlawn helps students apply, extend and internalize concepts covered in the core curriculum. Enrichment activities include:
- Field trips to the Pumpkin Patch, Portland Bridge Walking Tour, OMSI, Children’s Art Museum and the Children’s Theater
- Right Brain Initiative residencies
- Young Audience performances and residences
- Upkeep of the Woodlawn Children’s Garden
- SMART program
“ As a father of a first-grade student at Woodlawn School, I am confident that his teachers are providing him with the tools he will need to succeed as a second-grader and in the future.”
— Chris Brown, parent