School Choice Tour and Application Information
The PPS School Choice Lottery Process opens on February 9, 2015 and closes on March 6, 2015. The link to PPS' School Choice website is here:
Families interested in Winterhaven need to do the following to be eligible for the Winterhaven Lottery:
1. Complete a PPS School Choice application. This can be done online (found on the PPS School Choice website) or by paper. Paper forms are available in the main office. The form must be completed and submitted by 5 pm on March 6, 2015. Families with current Winterhaven siblings do need to apply to the lottery, but do not need to attend the informational meetings.
2. Attend one Winterhaven Informational Meeting. The meetings give information about our school. We encourage children to attend, but it is not mandatory for them to attend to apply. The meetings begin in the auditorium for a general information session from Principal Sandilands, and then 2 break out sessions, one in the kindergarten classroom with our kindergarten teacher, Mr. Huckaba, and the other session in the auditorium with our 6th grade teachers, Mr. Giles and Ms. Tran. Due to the small number of applicants in grades 1-5 & 7-8, we do not hold separate sessions. Families applying for these grades are welcome to join the break out session groups, but specific questions for these grades (schedule, curriculum, etc.) might not be able to be answered by the staff that are present. Here are the dates and times for the informational meetings:
March 5, 2015 - 5:30 pm
March 17, 2015 - 3:30 pm
Welcome to Winterhaven!
- Friday, March 6 - PPS School Choice lottery closes for grades K-8
- Monday, March 16 - PTSA meeting - 6:30 pm to 8 pm
- Wednesday, March 18 - Late Start - School begins at 10:45 am
- Monday, March 22-Friday, March 26 - Spring Break - No School
- Monday, March 30 - School resumes
- Thursday, April 9 - MAC Attack
- Friday, April 10 - No School - Teacher Planning Day
- Wednesday, April 15 - Late Start - School begins at 10:45 am
Welcome to Winterhaven! Winterhaven is a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) focus option school. We have a diverse learning environment in which its members are committed to meeting the educational, social, emotional and physical needs of all students in accordance with current practices, regardless of background or ability. This environment will stress academic excellence in a context of cultural enrichment and competency as well as community involvement. All stakeholders - students, staff and community - will feel valued and involved in the learning process.
Mark Sandilands, Principal