2012-13 PTA Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering is the best way to widen your circle of friends at Wilson, and it's the easiest way to get to know staff and other parents. There are many opportunities for parents to get involved.
Choose a job from the descriptions below that fits your schedule and matches your skills and interests. Mark your choices on the Volunteer Sign-Up form, included in the PTA membership packet or download here.
Front Office Support Opportunities abound in the front office between the hours of 8 AM and 3:30 PM. Parent volunteers support our staff by helping with the following:
- Greet visitors to the main office and provide general information
- Answer school phones
- Attendance office support
- Filing and photocopying
- Registration packet assembly (late Summer 2013)
- Wilson Career Center: Volunteers help students fulfill the Career-Related Learning graduation requirement (during school hours).
- Homework Help: Assist students with homework in the library after school (every day from 3:15‐4:30 PM, with extended hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays).
- Academic Literacy Support: One‐on‐one help for struggling readers, in Mr. Boly’s classroom.
- Writing Center (Library): Help students with school papers, college admissions essays and applications.
- Wilson Campus College Visits: Attend College Rep visits (held mostly in the fall), take notes for Counseling Center college files, and take attendance. Sign up for the college presentations of your choice.
- Book Room Team: Help the Book Room Clerk handle the textbook rush at the end of the school year and at Fall registration.
Wilson Foundation Foundation is the only source of funds to replace teaching staff lost due to budget cuts. Join us as we build on last year's success! We're planning fun and fabulous events to benefit the Wilson Foundation, including the Wilson House Party Extravaganza on October 13th, and special events at Harvey's Comedy Club. Get creative, have fun, and raise money for staffing needs at Wilson!
PTA General Support
- PTA Clothing Center: The PTA Clothing Center, located at Marshall High School, provides clothing free of charge to PPS students in need and their families. Recruit volunteers and coordinate scheduling to staff the Center twice a year for a few hours.
- Dance Chaperone: An excellent chance to see inside your student’s social world!
- Sample SAT: An easy but profitable PTA fundraiser that helps students prepare for the SAT. This year it will be on November 9; registration due by October 24. See the poster and download the form.
- 8th-Grade Family Night: Parents give tours and provide information to prospective families (November 28th). Be an ambassador for Wilson!
- PTA Hospitality Committee: Be part of the team to provide refreshments at PTA events, including Teacher Appreciation Week and Conferences. Needs include food donations, both store bought and homemade, and day‐of‐event help (setup, cleanup, serving food, etc.)
- College Info Night: College information for everyone, from freshman through seniors, and their families. Volunteers needed for traffic control, etc. Hosted by the Wilson Counseling Department (October 9th).
- Plant Sale: PTA fundraiser held in the Spring. Bring a little green to the PTA!
- Book Fair: A fundraiser for the Wilson Library, held during Parent/Teacher Conferences (date TBA).
- PTA Scholarship Committee: Evaluate scholarship applications. Two recipients will be selected (process begins in January, concludes in May).
- PTA Parent Education Committee: The committee plans and hosts three Parent Education events a year. Help build a community at Wilson!
- PTA Reflections Committee: A national PTA program to encourage students to explore their artistic talent in art, music, dance, video production, and literature. Student entries advance to the state and national level.
PTA Auction Committee The annual all‐school auction is the largest Wilson fundraiser of the year and a fun social event. Proceeds benefit PTA Grant Fund, athletic programs, and academic activities (April 13th).
- Procurement Coordinator: Work with the Auction team to coordinate procurement efforts of different school groups. This function is crucial to the success of the Auction! Does not involve procuring auction items.
- Publicity Chair: Get the word out about our largest fundraiser to the WHS community.
- Auction Volunteer Coordinator: Make sure volunteer needs for the Auction are met and that people know what their jobs are.
- Day/Night of Event help: Just want to spend a few hours and be done? This is the job for you! Help set up on the day of the event, or be part of the behind‐the‐scenes team on the night of the Auction.
- Sport/Club/Activity Liaisons: Each group participating in the Auction must have a liaison to help coordinate procurement and ticket sales for their group. Will communicate directly with procurement coordinator and staff member in charge of the activity.
- Donation Coordinator: Track donated items, communicate with procurement coordinator and data entry person. A good job for someone with flexible work schedule, primarily winter quarter. Does not involve procuring items, and a lot of the work could be done at home or school, your choice.
PTA Grad Night Party Committee Grad Night 2013 is an all‐night celebration free of drugs, alcohol, tobacco and weapons for WHS seniors. Following graduation, seniors are whisked away for an off-the-charts night of fun!
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator: Track fundraisers for the Grad Night Party and make sure volunteer position are filled.
- Safety Volunteer: Night of event. Make sure medical and emergency supplies are in place. Must have CPR certification or medical training.
- Fundraising Coordinators needed to coordinate various fundraisers.
- Communications Coordinator
- Night of Event: Help with decoration, activities, set‐up, etc.
- Chair for 2014: If you're interested in heading up this event next year, make the job a breeze by shadowing this year's Chair to see how it's done!
Contact Matt Schiewe (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to sign up.