Letter From the Principal
Dear Vestal families & community,
I want to welcome you back to what I think is going to be a very exciting year at Vestal! I am thrilled to be back for a second year with your children—I’ve missed them over the summer! This year, we are welcoming several new faculty members and programs to the building. I feel confident that these new additions will give us a tremendous boost toward our constant mission of academic excellence and positive citizenship for all students. Here is a quick summary of what is new and exciting at Vestal this year:
- · Schools Uniting Neighborhoods (SUN) Community School Program: At long-last, Vestal has finally been named a SUN Community School! This fall, we will introduce to you our new full-time SUN Site Manager. Registration for our first session of SUN programs will begin in late fall and official programming will begin in the winter. This fall, we will be reaching out to gather information from all of our stakeholders to inform the development of Vestal SUN. We look forward to all of the programming and community connections that SUN will bring to Vestal!
- · Playworks: We are pleased to be partnering with Playworks for the first time this year. Playworks will assign a full-time coach to Vestal. The job of the coach will be to help students engage in structured, inclusive, cooperative games at recess-time. The coach will also meet with classes throughout the week for Game Time and will run an after school Junior Coach program. Expect to hear your students talking about the new Playworks coach this fall!
- · AVID Elementary: As many of you know, Vestal has had a strong middle school AVID program for years. This year, we are pleased to be introducing AVID Elementary. We will be implementing AVID strategies including daily planners, binders, critical reading strategies, and note-taking in 4th and 5th grade this year. Our hope is that this early boost will get students ready to be well-organized critical thinkers as they move toward middle school.
- · Family Resource Center: This year, the PTA will be opening a new Family Resource Center in Portable 2. The intent of this space is to give families a place to come together, access resources and technology, meet with translators, and engage in new ways with the Vestal community.
- · Building Security: To ensure a safe and protected learning environment for all students, we will be moving all homeroom classes into a fully-secured building this year. During the school day, all building entrances will remain locked. Visitors will need to buzz into the building at the Everett Street door and the office will be able to view and record who is entering the building at all times.
- · New Faculty: We are pleased to welcome several new teachers to Vestal this year:
Tanya Lee—Ms. Lee
will be returning to Vestal to teach 1st grade. She has most
recently been teaching 1st grade at Kelly School.
- Aron Steinke—Mr. Steinke will be joining us this year to cover Ms. Biello’s maternity leave in 2nd grade. He has most recently been teaching 2nd-3rd grade at Trillium Charter School.
- Zachary Korth—Mr. Korth will be taking over 7th-8th grade Science instruction this year. Mr. Korth comes to us from the Chicago Public Schools.
- Jack Wilkinson—Mr. Wilkinson will be joining us as a full-time Learning Center Teacher. He will be responsible for supporting students in grades 5-8. Mr. Wilkinson comes to us from a middle school in White Salmon, WA.
- Erin Fitzpatrick-Bjorn—Ms. Fitzpatrick-Bjorn will be taking over our library this year. She will be here four full days each week and will oversee our library and technology programs. She most recently served as the District Media Coordinator in the Gresham-Barlow School District.
- Marian Herrmann—Ms. Herrmann will be taking over our music program this year. She will be here four full days each week and will oversee elementary music education and middle school elective music classes. Ms. Herrmann is returning to Portland from Philadelphia.
So, as you can see, we have lots to be excited about at Vestal this year!! I encourage you to get involved with school activities this year—we know that family support is a key to student success. Should you need anything as the year progresses, please know that my door is always open…
Emily Glasgow (email@example.com)
School News & Announcements
First Day of School
The first day of school for all 1st-8th grade students is Tuesday, September 2nd. The first day of school for kindergarten students is Friday, September 5th. If you have not yet registered, we encourage you to come in to the office before the first day of school to complete your paperwork and sign your child up for school!!
Vestal Student Backpacks
Courtesy of Unitus Community Credit Union, every Vestal student will receive a FREE backpack stocked with school supplies on the first day of school!!
Free Breakfast & Lunch For All
This year, Vestal is thrilled to be participating in a new federal program that will allow all Vestal students to eat both BREAKFAST and LUNCH for FREE every day!
Vestal is a SUN Community School!!
Thanks for the support and advocacy of our community, Vestal has now been named a SUN Community School. We will be introducing our new SUN Site Manager and Americorps member to the community this fall and will be conducting a community needs assessment to determine which types of programming will most support our students and families. Official SUN after school programming will begin this winter. Expect to hear more information soon!
Back to School BBQ
Mark your calendars for our annual Back-to-School BBQ and Information Night--Tuesday, September 16th (5:30-7:30 pm)!
Vestal Voice--Current School Newsletters
Click here to read the April 2014 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
Click here to read the March 2014 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
Click here to read the February 2014 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
Click here to read the December 2013 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
Click here to read the November 2013 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
Click here to read the September/October 2013 edition of our Vestal Voice school newsletter.
On Saturday, December 7th, Mr. Lind & Ms. Oesterle took 8 students to compete in the First Lego League tournament in Hillsboro. We didn't win, but we had a great time and learned a lot!!
On Friday, November 8th, Mr. Lind took our LEGO Robotics team on a field trip to the OSU Waves and Robotics Lab.
ADOPT A CLASS
Volunteers from Unitus visited their little buddies in Mrs. Thompson's 3rd grade class before Halloween to carve pumpkins and do Halloween crafts.
Mrs. Biello's 2nd grade class goes "camping" in the classroom (an activity aligned with their Reading Street story on camping).
Connect to Kindergarten!
Fall 2014 Kindergarten--Register NOW!
If your child will be 5-years-old by September, please consider sending him/her to Vestal for Kindergarten. If you need more information about how to register or would like to schedule a tour, please call our office (503.916.6437) or e-mail Principal Emily Glasgow (firstname.lastname@example.org). Otherwise, come on in--our secrataries are in the office every day and ready to guide you through the registration process!
PPS Parent Academy
Please check out the PPS Parent Academy!
Please read about the Superintendent's Budget Update. This information is available in several languages.
New online parent tool
Starting in the 2013-14 school year, PPS families will have access to student progress information in a new online tool called Synergy ParentVUE. ParentVUE will be available in multiple languages and also as a free mobile app.
Families will receive log-in instructions to Synergy ParentVUE and links to online support materials in Fall 2013. For more information, please visit http://synergyspotlight.pps.net