School News & Announcements
This site is not currently being updated. Please visit our Facebook Page for current information and postings on school events...
New Website Coming Soon 2016 - 17
Vestal School Climate Plan 2015 - 16
Vestal K8 School Climate Plan (2015-2016)
This plan supplements the Portland Public Schools’ Guide to Policies, Rules, and Procedures on Student Responsibilities, Rights, and Discipline and includes district criteria.
Letter From the Principal
Dear Vestal families & community,
I want to welcome you back to what I think is going to be a very exciting year at Vestal! I am thrilled to be back for a second year with your children—I’ve missed them over the summer! This year, we are welcoming several new faculty members and programs to the building. I feel confident that these new additions will give us a tremendous boost toward our constant mission of academic excellence and positive citizenship for all students. Here is a quick summary of what is new and exciting at Vestal this year:
- · Schools Uniting Neighborhoods (SUN) Community School Program: At long-last, Vestal has finally been named a SUN Community School! This fall, we will introduce to you our new full-time SUN Site Manager. Registration for our first session of SUN programs will begin in late fall and official programming will begin in the winter. This fall, we will be reaching out to gather information from all of our stakeholders to inform the development of Vestal SUN. We look forward to all of the programming and community connections that SUN will bring to Vestal!
- · Playworks: We are pleased to be partnering with Playworks for the first time this year. Playworks will assign a full-time coach to Vestal. The job of the coach will be to help students engage in structured, inclusive, cooperative games at recess-time. The coach will also meet with classes throughout the week for Game Time and will run an after school Junior Coach program. Expect to hear your students talking about the new Playworks coach this fall!
- · AVID Elementary: As many of you know, Vestal has had a strong middle school AVID program for years. This year, we are pleased to be introducing AVID Elementary. We will be implementing AVID strategies including daily planners, binders, critical reading strategies, and note-taking in 4th and 5th grade this year. Our hope is that this early boost will get students ready to be well-organized critical thinkers as they move toward middle school.
- · Family Resource Center: This year, the PTA will be opening a new Family Resource Center in Portable 2. The intent of this space is to give families a place to come together, access resources and technology, meet with translators, and engage in new ways with the Vestal community.
- · Building Security: To ensure a safe and protected learning environment for all students, we will be moving all homeroom classes into a fully-secured building this year. During the school day, all building entrances will remain locked. Visitors will need to buzz into the building at the Everett Street door and the office will be able to view and record who is entering the building at all times.
- · New Faculty: We are pleased to welcome several new teachers to Vestal this year:
Tanya Lee—Ms. Lee
will be returning to Vestal to teach 1st grade. She has most
recently been teaching 1st grade at Kelly School.
- Aron Steinke—Mr. Steinke will be joining us this year to cover Ms. Biello’s maternity leave in 2nd grade. He has most recently been teaching 2nd-3rd grade at Trillium Charter School.
- Zachary Korth—Mr. Korth will be taking over 7th-8th grade Science instruction this year. Mr. Korth comes to us from the Chicago Public Schools.
- Jack Wilkinson—Mr. Wilkinson will be joining us as a full-time Learning Center Teacher. He will be responsible for supporting students in grades 5-8. Mr. Wilkinson comes to us from a middle school in White Salmon, WA.
- Erin Fitzpatrick-Bjorn—Ms. Fitzpatrick-Bjorn will be taking over our library this year. She will be here four full days each week and will oversee our library and technology programs. She most recently served as the District Media Coordinator in the Gresham-Barlow School District.
- Marian Herrmann—Ms. Herrmann will be taking over our music program this year. She will be here four full days each week and will oversee elementary music education and middle school elective music classes. Ms. Herrmann is returning to Portland from Philadelphia.
So, as you can see, we have lots to be excited about at Vestal this year!! I encourage you to get involved with school activities this year—we know that family support is a key to student success. Should you need anything as the year progresses, please know that my door is always open…
Emily Glasgow (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Connect to Kindergarten!
Fall 2015 Kindergarten Information
If your child will be 5-years-old by September 2015, please consider sending him/her to Vestal for Kindergarten. We will be holding a Kindergarten Connect event for interested families on January 22nd at 5:30 pm. If you are looking for information before that date or will be unable to make that event, please feel free to contact Principal Emily Glasgow (email@example.com) for information or to schedule a tour.
PPS Parent Academy
Please check out the PPS Parent Academy!
Please read about the Superintendent's Budget Update. This information is available in several languages.
New online parent tool
Starting in the 2013-14 school year, PPS families will have access to student progress information in a new online tool called Synergy ParentVUE. ParentVUE will be available in multiple languages and also as a free mobile app.
Families will receive log-in instructions to Synergy ParentVUE and links to online support materials in Fall 2013. For more information, please visit http://synergyspotlight.pps.net