Vernon School Name Change Survey
Open for Input Until April 3, 2015
Our school's official name is Vernon Elementary School. Currently our name does not reflect our school. We are a Kindergarten through Eighth grade school. Vernon Site Council would like to know our community's interest in removing Elementary from our official school name and possibly adding a word that reflects our school now.
Tell us what you think at: http://goo.gl/forms/S7YqdkPQpH
Thank you, Lou Ferrigno for coming to Vernon!
Featured on KGW News
Vernon School Supply Lists
Vernon School Handbook and Calendar
Click HERE to get electronic version.
Vernon's Pledge of Nonviolence
Making peace must start within ourselves and in our school. Each of us, members of Vernon School, on this day, commit ourselves as best as we can to become nonviolent and peaceable people.
To Respect Self and Others
To respect ourselves, to affirm others and to avoid uncaring criticism, hateful words, physical attacks and self-destructive behavior.
To Communicate Better
To share our feelings honestly, to look for safe ways to express our anger, and to work at solving problems peacefully.
To listen carefully to one another, especially those who disagree with us, and to consider others' feelings and needs rather than insist on having our own way.
To apologize and make amends when we have hurt another, to forgive others, and to keep from holding grudges.
To Respect Nature
To treat the environment and all living things, including our pets, with respect and care.
To Play Creatively
To select activites and toys that support our school's values and to avoid activities that make violence look exciting, funny or acceptable.
To Be Courageous
To challenge violence in all its forms whenever we encounter it, whether at home, at school, or in the community, and to stand with others who are treated unfairly.
This is our pledge. These are our goals. We will check ourselves on what we have pledged once a month so that we can help each other become more peaceable people.
Eliminating violence, one school at a time, starting with our own.
Additional Administrative Reminders
Vernon Communication Commitment
Parents and teachers collaborating is very important to us here at Vernon. We wanted to make you aware of the guidelines we are committed to complying with as a staff:
- If a parent has a question or concern about class, we encourage you to contact your classroom teacher first.
- Teachers will respond to your email, note or phone call within 24-48 hours.
- Please check with teachers as to which method might be quicker for them to answer your communication and please make sure we have your updated information.
- If you have a question or concern for the administration, we encourage you to call, email, or send a note and we will responsed within 48-72 hours, unless it is a matter of urgency.
School Goal: Great Attendance and Arriving to School on Time
Second Quarter and Fourth Quarter we will be using a Attendance Reward Program for K-5th grades. Each student that has perfect attendance and no tardies will receive a informational card about an animal from India. Students will also be entered into a weekly drawing for a stuffed animal. At the end of 9 weeks we will have a drawing for all students that have had perfect attendance for 9 weeks for large stuffed animals.
Just a quick repost of attendance reminders:
- The 8:45 Bell. This is when instruction begins. Please make sure that your morning routine allows for plenty of time to get ready and to get here by 8:35.
- We have Monday announcements right after the 8:45 bell rings. We will announce birthdays, weather reports, and Principal's drawings.
Vernon School has adopted the Rotary's Guide to Relationships.
We use the 4 Way Test when making decisions.
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?