Weekly Reminders and Announcements
Black History Celebration - Monday, February 24th, K-5 at 9am and MS at 9:45am. Drumming Video
Running Low on Food for the Family????
Vernon School would like to inform our Families that you can request a Food Box for your household or a Food Backpack for your children at any time. The Food Pantry is available to help you when you most need it. To request a Food Box or Food Backpack is simple. Notify Shantel Waddell or Darlene Baldwin in the SUN Office at (503) 916-6559 and we will prepare one for your family to pick up.
Northwest Natural Gas (NWNG) Provides Funds to SEI Community and Family Programs
The SEI Community and Family Programs energy team would like to inform the community that Northwest Natural Gas (NWNG) has allocated funds to SEI Community and Family Program to assist Northwest Natural Gas (NWNG) clients with energy assistance with their heating bill.
The primary purpose of these funds is to help low-income customers with their Northwest Natural Gas bill. The target group is the elderly, handicapped, and families with small children.
Households in Multnomah County must meet the 2014 Federal Eligibility Income Guideline and be able to provide copies of the required documents to qualify for energy assistance. To receive energy assistance NWNG customers can call SEI Community and Family Programs at 503-285-0493 Monday – Thursday between the hours of 9:00 - 11:00 am or 1:00 – 3:00 pm to a schedule appointment.
A Message From Your Administrators
Each quarter our staff gets together and reflects on all the amazing things we can celebrate. There is the list we made for 2nd quarter:
· MS Community Circle – PBIS Focus
· Family Math Night
· Grade Level Data Review Meetings
· Positive Staff Appreciation Activities
· Rotary Luncheon
· Go Noodle
· MLK Assembly
· Blazer Reading Challenge
· Moving forward with PBIS & Focus Goals
· MS reward for students who met goal
· Finally finished staffing – added great support staff – Coakley
· Started meeting with MS students to review goals
· Improve schedule to get into more classes for observations
· Appreciation poem for Rotary
· School-wide Peace activities
· Improved math and reading scores
· Aquarium Inquiry Project
· Social Committee started – Italian Soda Cart
· Young Audiences visits
· IB Conference
· Bridges Math Training
· Perfect Attendance Program
· Fitness tests
· Great Olympic PE Unit
· Successful team meeting and planning
· Field Trips
· Planning of Talent Show
· Choir performances
· Positive Attitudes
· Effective Fire Drill
· Successful math interventions
· Shark Dissection for Kindergarten
· Buddy Class Activities
· Mural Contest
· Communicated well with parents
· School Spirit Days
· Chess Club
· Successfully working with volunteers
· Updating yearlong plans
· 98% Attendance
· Creating a strong sense of community who respect and care for each other
· Differentiation based on student need
· High School Visits
· Sharing student work on hallway bulletin boards
· Winter Sing-a-long
· Compliment Party
· School Store
· PTA Book Fair
· TAG Lunch Bunch
· IB Info Night and Kinder Connect
· Kaiser & 5th Grade Healthy Activities
· Passed Fire Inspection
· SMART Program
· New furniture in office
· On-going updates to Vernon Website
· Increased use of engagement strategies
· Supporting students and families
· Learning Synergy program
· Do Something Challenge
· Fun Hands-on Activities
· Book Harvest Program
· Google Chromebooks
· New IB books in library
· New Library Book Drop by office
Additional Administrative Reminders
Vernon Communication Commitment
Parents and teachers collaborating is very important to us here at Vernon. We wanted to make you aware of the guidelines we are committed to complying with as a staff:
- If a parent has a question or concern about class, we encourage you to contact your classroom teacher first.
- Teachers will respond to your email, note or phone call within 24-48 hours.
- Please check with teachers as to which method might be quicker for them to answer your communication and please make sure we have your updated information.
- If you have a question or concern for the administration, we encourage you to call, email, or send a note and we will responsed within 48-72 hours, unless it is a matter of urgency.
School Goal: Great Attendance and Arriving to School on Time
Second Quarter and Fourth Quarter we will be using a Attendance Reward Program for K-5th grades. Each student that has perfect attendance and no tardies will receive a informational card about an animal from China. Students will also be entered into a weekly drawing for a stuffed animal. At the end of 9 weeks we will have a drawing for all students that have had perfect attendance for 9 weeks for large stuffed animals.
Just a quick repost of attendance reminders:
- The 8:45 Bell. This is when instruction begins. Please make sure that your morning routine allows for plenty of time to get ready and to get here by 8:35.
- We have Monday announcements right after the 8:45 bell rings. We will announce birthdays, weather reports, and Principal's drawings.
Vernon School has adopted the Rotary's Guide to Relationships.
We use the 4 Way Test when making decisions.
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?