Sabin SUN Community School
Click here for the Spring 2013 newsletter and class registration materials.
Important Upcoming dates:
- Monday, April 1st 2013 - Spring 2013 student schedule confirmations released
- Monday, April 8th 2013 - Spring 2013 extended day class term starts
- Monday, May 27th 2013 - No SUN School due to Memorial Day holiday
- Thursday, May 30th 2013 - Spring 2013 SUN Showcase at 4:30PM in the Sabin auditorium
- Wednesday, June 5th 2013- Summer 2013 Term Registration at 7:30AM in the Sabin Auditorium
- Monday, July 8th 2013- Summer 2013 classes start
- Thursday, August 1st 2013 - Last day of Summer 2013 classes
Winter 2013 newsletter
Summer 2012 newsletter
What is the SUN School all about?
Sabin SUN, a program of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), aims to improve the lives of children, their families and the community by extending the school day and develop schools as "community centers" in their neighborhoods. SUN Community Schools strive to be a community "hub." They link with other community institutions, such as the libraries, parks and community centers, neighborhood health clinics and area businesses.
SUN Community Schools:
- Extend the school day and broaden the educational resources for the community
- Bring and coordinate services to the community
- Bring the community together to break down isolation and strengthen families.
- Build relationships across generations, cultures and incomes
Sabin SUN is proud to partner with AKA Science, MAD Science, Concordia University, Self Enhancement Inc, 4-H Wildlife Stewards, Whole Foods Market Fremont, Portland Police Bureau, NW Internal Arts, and Portland Early Learning Project to offer high quality extended day classes. Classes also include content in visual arts, music, drama, cooking, dance, and foreign language/culture.
More about IRCO-managed SUN Schools
Winter 2013 newsletter Are you interested in volunteering or know someone who is? We have many volunteers who help with supper, assist in instruction and even teach classes. The time commitment can be as little as one hour per week and will include a full volunteer orientation so you feel supported in your efforts. Please get in touch if you are interested in donating your time and talent to offer more class opportunities to Sabin students and/or their families.
SUN School contact info:
Kate Gigler, SUN Site Manager
- 503-916-6707 (office) 503-360-3104 (cell)
Rachel Prust, Activities Coordinator and interim SUN Site Manager
Zandy Gordon, Academic Engagement Coordinator