Sabin SUN Community School
Important Upcoming dates:
- Thursday, March 6 2014 - Last day of Winter 2014 class term and SUN Showcase in the auditorium.
- Wednesday, March 12 2014 - Spring 2014 first come first serve registration at 7:30AM in the Sabin auditorium
- Monday, March 31 2014 - Spring 2014 student schedule confirmations sent home with students
- Monday, April 7 2014 - First Day of the Spring 2014 class term
- Monday, May 26 2014 - No SUN School due to Memorial Day
- Tuesday, May 27 2014 - Summer 2014 program guide released and available linked here.
- Thursday, May 29 2014 - Last Day of Spring 2014 class term and SUN Showcase in the auditorium.
- Wednesday, June 4 2014 - Registration for summer 2014 programs.
- Monday June 30 - Thursday July 24 2014 - Summer program dates.
Past Sabin SUN Newsletters:
What is the SUN School all about?
Sabin SUN, a program of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), aims to improve the lives of children, their families and the community by extending the school day and develop schools as "community centers" in their neighborhoods. SUN Community Schools strive to be a community "hub." They link with other community institutions, such as the libraries, parks and community centers, neighborhood health clinics and area businesses.
SUN Community Schools:
- Extend the school day and broaden the educational resources for the community
- Bring and coordinate services to the community
- Bring the community together to break down isolation and strengthen families.
- Build relationships across generations, cultures and incomes
Sabin SUN is proud to partner with AKA Science, MAD Science, Concordia University, Self Enhancement Inc, 4-H Wildlife Stewards, Whole Foods Market Fremont, Portland Police Bureau, NW Internal Arts, and Portland Early Learning Project to offer high quality extended day classes. Classes also include content in visual arts, music, drama, cooking, dance, and foreign language/culture.
More about IRCO-managed SUN Schools
Are you interested in volunteering or know someone who is? We have many volunteers who help with supper, assist in instruction and even teach classes. The time commitment can be as little as one hour per week and will include a full volunteer orientation so you feel supported in your efforts. Please get in touch if you are interested in donating your time and talent to offer more class opportunities to Sabin students and/or their families.
SUN School contact info:
Kate Gigler, SUN Site Manager
- 503-916-6707 (office) 503-360-3104 (cell)
Rachel Prust, Asst. SUN Site Manager
Natalie Duchala, Academic Engagement Coordinator
Corbin Lichtinger, Garden Educator