Sabin SUN Community School
Need resources to be more prepared for your student's parent teacher conference?
Important Upcoming dates:
- Thursday, December 5 2013 - Fall 2013 extended day class term ends and SUN Showcase in the auditorium at 4:30PM
- Monday, December 9 2013 - Winter 2014 newsletter and registration materials released here and home in student backpacks.
- Monday, December 16 2013 - Season of Sharing gift wrapping party in the auditorium 3:00-7:00PM
- Thursday, December 19 2013 - Winter 2014 SUN Registration in the auditorium at 7:30PM
- Monday, January 13 2014 - First Day of Winter 2014 class term.
- Monday, January 20, 27 and Monday February 17 - NO SUN School due to school holidays
- Thursday, March 6 2014 - Last day of Winter 2014 class term and SUN Showcase in the auditorium.
Fall 2013 newsletter
What is the SUN School all about?
Sabin SUN, a program of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), aims to improve the lives of children, their families and the community by extending the school day and develop schools as "community centers" in their neighborhoods. SUN Community Schools strive to be a community "hub." They link with other community institutions, such as the libraries, parks and community centers, neighborhood health clinics and area businesses.
SUN Community Schools:
- Extend the school day and broaden the educational resources for the community
- Bring and coordinate services to the community
- Bring the community together to break down isolation and strengthen families.
- Build relationships across generations, cultures and incomes
Sabin SUN is proud to partner with AKA Science, MAD Science, Concordia University, Self Enhancement Inc, 4-H Wildlife Stewards, Whole Foods Market Fremont, Portland Police Bureau, NW Internal Arts, and Portland Early Learning Project to offer high quality extended day classes. Classes also include content in visual arts, music, drama, cooking, dance, and foreign language/culture.
More about IRCO-managed SUN Schools
Are you interested in volunteering or know someone who is? We have many volunteers who help with supper, assist in instruction and even teach classes. The time commitment can be as little as one hour per week and will include a full volunteer orientation so you feel supported in your efforts. Please get in touch if you are interested in donating your time and talent to offer more class opportunities to Sabin students and/or their families.