Sabin SUN Community School
Important Upcoming dates:
- Monday, May 18, 2015 - Summer SUN Newsletters distributed to classrooms
- Friday, May 22, 2015 - All forms due to the main office or SUN office
- May 27-29, 2015 - Confirmation sheets sent home
- July 13-16, 2015 - First week of Summer SUN
- July 20-23, 2015 - Second week of Summer SUN
- July 27-30, 2015 - Third week of Summer SUN
- August 3-6, 2015 - Fourth week of Summer SUN
Important Summer SUN Information:
- Sabin Summer SUN school will be located at Beaumont Middle School (4043 NE Fremont Ave) this summer due to scheduled upgrades and construction at Sabin
- Registration for Summer SUN will be on a Lottery Basis
- For the Summer SUN newsletter, click here
Past Sabin SUN Newsletters:
What is the SUN School all about?
Sabin SUN, a program of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), aims to improve the lives of children, their families and the community by extending the school day and develop schools as "community centers" in their neighborhoods. SUN Community Schools strive to be a community "hub." They link with other community institutions, such as the libraries, parks and community centers, neighborhood health clinics and area businesses.
SUN Community Schools:
- Extend the school day and broaden the educational resources for the community
- Bring and coordinate services to the community
- Bring the community together to break down isolation and strengthen families.
- Build relationships across generations, cultures and incomes
Sabin SUN is proud to partner with AKA Science, MAD Science, Concordia University, Self Enhancement Inc, 4-H Wildlife Stewards, Whole Foods Market Fremont, Portland Police Bureau, NW Internal Arts, and Portland Early Learning Project to offer high quality extended day classes. Classes also include content in visual arts, music, drama, cooking, dance, and foreign language/culture.
More about IRCO-managed SUN Schools
Are you interested in volunteering or know someone who is? We have many volunteers who help with supper, assist in instruction and even teach classes. The time commitment can be as little as one hour per week and will include a full volunteer orientation so you feel supported in your efforts. Please get in touch if you are interested in donating your time and talent to offer more class opportunities to Sabin students and/or their families.
SUN School contact info:
Rachel Prust, SUN Site Manager
- 503-916-6707 (office) 503-360-3104 (cell)
Liz Ghiz, Activities Coordinator
Kelsey Painter, AmeriCorps Academic Engagement Coordinator
Randy Wolsten, Garden Educator