We provide a rich bilingual and bicultural preschool program that plays upon the natural ability of young children to acquire a second language through meaningful and age-appropriate instruction. Using well-researched and carefully implemented early childhood learning practices, our students in Richmond's Japanese experience preschool will:
- Acquire Japanese and English skills through engaging and age-appropriate activities with music, arts and crafts, story time, games, and learning centers.
- Experience Japanese language and culture in a positive and supportive environment with a cadre of experienced teachers.
- Join a prestigious, award-winning language immersion pathway that extends from preschool at Richmond Elementary School to grade 12 at Grant High School.
Benefits of Starting Early
Learning two languages from an early age, especially in a long, well-sequenced program such as Richmond's Japanese immersion program, allows children to develop a high level of Japanese fluency. Research shows that learning a second language benefits young children academically and cognitively while helping them develop positive attitudes and understanding of different cultures.
Preschool Students Automatically Transition to Richmond's Japanese Immersion Kindergarten
Children completing our full-day Japanese immersion preschool receive automatic placement in Portland Public Schools' award-winning K-12 Japanese Magnet Program (JMP). Children with older siblings currently enrolled at Richmond receive priority placement in our preschool.
- Children must be 4 years old by September 1st
- Full-day program, 8:00 am to 2:15 pm Monday-Friday
- $700 per month (Sept-June) for full-day preschool
- Tuition scholarships available
Cadre of Excellent Teachers
- Two full-time certified English teachers
- Two full-time bilingual teacher's aide
- One full-time Japanese interns
Simple Enrollment Process
Families must complete the School Choice Form for Pre-Kindergarten and submit it to the Enrollment and Transfer Center by deadline. The application form and deadline information can be found from the following Web site:
Richmond's PreSchool is Special Because...
- Our teachers are certified by the State of Oregon and have years of experience and training in early childhood education.
- Our curriculum provides for Japanese immersion experiences that are age appropriate for young children.
- Our tuition prices are less expensive than private programs for full day.
- Our adult to child ratio is one to eight.