Mt Tabor News and Information
Mt. Tabor News
August 28, 2015
Welcome to the 2015-2016 school year -- we are so excited to see the hallways filled with students! We have had a great start and we look forward to the year ahead. Thank you for your patience as we iron out any student scheduling glitches.
The Principal's Newsletter was sent out to the Listserve this afternoon. If you are not yet signed up to receive it, please go to the following website for instructions on how to sign up or you can access the PDF copy of the newsletter by clicking the link below:
August 17, 2015
We hope that you are enjoying the last moments of summer vacation. We have been busy in the office preparing for the new school year and look forward to seeing everyone back on August 27th. Until then, here are some dates to know:
- Summer Office Hours: The Mt. Tabor Main Office opens on August 18 and Tanesha and Mayra will be available from 8:30am – 4:30pm (11:30am-12:30 closed for lunch). Regular Office hours will resume on August 24.
- Community Care Day: On August 22 from 9:00am to 12:00pm you can bring your tools, roll up your sleeves, and help us in enhancing and beautifying our building and grounds. No registration is necessary, and all ages are welcome. Some tools and supplies will be provided; individuals may also bring their own. **We are in need of a pressure washer and so if you have one, please bring it as we have several areas that need to be pressure washed.
- Student Schedules: Our plan is to mail student schedules on August 19.
- First Day of School: The first day of school for all students is Thursday, August 27. First Period begins at 9:15am, but students are allowed in the building at 8:50am for breakfast, and school dismisses at 3:45pm.
- 6th Grade Ice Cream Social: Sixth graders and their families are invited to an ice cream social afterschool on Thursday, August 27 from 3:45 - 4:15pm in the courtyard.
- School Supplies: All 7th and 8th Grade students will bring their supplies on the first day of school. All 6th Grade students will bring their supplies on the second day of school. You can find a list of school supplies here: 2015-2016 School Supplies
- Picture Day: September 9 – Look for information in the Back-to-School Packet.
- Before School Supervision: Scheduled to begin on Tuesday, September 15 – more information will be coming to you in the Back-to-School Packet.
- Homework Club: Scheduled to begin on Tuesday, September 15 and goes from 3:45pm - 5:00pm every Tuesday and Wednesday in the Library. Homework Club is optional and students do not need to sign-up prior to attending. Students that attend are expected to stay the entire time on that day. Students are not required to attend both days.
- PTA Meeting: The first PTA meeting of this school year is Tuesday, September 15th at 6:30pm - 8:00pm in the Library.
- Back to
School Night: Monday, September 21 from 6:00pm – 8:00pm.
READ! READ! READ!
The Mt. Tabor leadership team of Principal Robi Osborn and Assistant Principal Anh Nguyen-Johnson have a summer message for students... and fill out those Multnomah County Library gameboards for prizes!
Mandatory Registration Date and Time for Franklin Freshman
(to be held at the Marshall)
• Freshman Registration ~ Tuesday, August 18th, 2015, 8am - 11am
• Sophomores & Make-Up Registration ~ Thursday, August 20, 2015, 8am - 1:30pm
FRESHMAN ORIENTATION ~ THURSDAY, AUGUST 20, 2015 8AM - NOON
Save the Date!
Mt. Tabor Middle School Foundation Fundraiser
“What the Heck, Write a Check” Spring Faire
6:30 pm, FRIDAY, MAY 13th, 2016
Join the fun, volunteer to help with this fun, low-key event. ONLY 3 PLANNING MEETINGS!!!
Many positions have already been filled, see below for where we still need help. Everyone is welcome!
The following positions are already filled:
· Data Entry, Ticket Sales, Procurement Chair Laura Smoyer
· Direct Appeal Program Chair Dalena Bradley
· Communications/Marketing Madeline Landis
· Check-in/Check-out Stephanie Roth
· Check-in/Check-out Anne Kimberly
· Beer Procurement Lisa Zuniga
· Technology (computers for check-in) Scott Criswell
· Food/Venue Carol Criswell
· Prize Pong Andrea Strauss
· Day-of helper/runner Megan Pickerel-Winer
· Volunteer Chair / Meeting Organizer – this person will take the lead in setting the meeting dates, leading the 3 meetings and setting the agenda, and will check in with committee members. This person is the hub that keeps the parts moving.
· Poster design/event branding – this creative mind gets to design our event poster!
· Decorations (10ish, simple table tops) – the Laurelhurst Club is already a charming space, all that is needed is a touch here and there.
· Wine Procurement (drinking and wall of wine) – we have a list of past donors to get you started!
· Night of Wall of Wine/Bingo Wine operator – this could be the person who procured the wine or not.
· Sponsorship (for 3 main sponsors only) – we have 3 premium sponsors who just need to be contacted and communicated with. No cold calls required!
· Direct Appeal MC
· Direct Appeal Recorders/Spotters
· Direct Appeal Spotters
· Will Call
· Set up helpers
· Check-in/Check-out (must be comfortable with a computer and data entry, will work during the event).
· Thank-you Note Coordinator
Contact Carol Criswell if you can help! Carol.email@example.com
For information about MTMS Foundation, visit http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/mttabor/247.htm.
Don’t struggle alone with homework! Call a librarian. Multnomah County library has live homework help in English, Spanish and Vietnamese from 2-10 pm every day! They will proof read a paper or help you tackle a tough math problem. You can also live chat with a librarian 24/7 who will direct you to resources for research, etc. Go to https://multcolib.org/ and click on Homework-center.
School starts at 9:05AM and breakfast is served at 8:50 a.m. Please do not drop off your students earlier than 9:05a.m. unless your student is registered for Before School Supervision. School ends at 3:45 p.m. and students have to leave school grounds by 4:00 p.m. We do not have staff supervision before or after school hours for students. We are not responsible for your student(s) if he/she arrives outside of school hours. Please encourage your student not to walk to school too early.
We notice that there are many students wandering in front of the building, on the sidewalks or going to QFC. With the wet and cold weather coming, please make sure that you're students are picked up on time. We appreciate your cooperation.
What is the dress code?
We are in the process of revising the Dress Code Guidelines. You can refer to 2014-2015 Student Handbook for Dress Code Guidelines.