Homework - Language Arts
You will be responsible for presenting an influential black American to the class. To do this you will need to:
- Research information about the person and what they did that makes them influential
- Create a 3 minute presentation that you will deliver to the class
- May use a PowerPower point or display pictures, poem, or song
Things you may want to consider while gathering information:
- What is this person’s background
- Where are they from?
- What was their profession?
- What type of education did they receive?
- Professional Career
- What did your person do for a living?
- How did their career affect others?
- Where were they living?
- Outside influences
- What else was going on at this time period?
- Were they inspired by anyone else?
- Did something happen to them?
- Why is this person influential?
- Did they motivate others?
- How did social or political change occur because of them?
- Why do others need to know of this person?
- How does this person or how might this person affect(ed) your life?
- Read pages 273 - 278 of An American Childhood. While reading Complete the Guided Reading questions in the purple boxes
- Answer questions 1a - 4b on page 279.
- My Sister Who in the Fifties - After reading the story in class, complete questions 1a - 4b on page 109 in the Literature textbook.
- Choose either 1, 2, or 3 from the Writers Journal on page 110. Complete this journal using appropriate spelling, sentence fluency, and conventions.
- Reading Log - Students need to read 30 minutes nightly. After reading, students should input the amount of time that they read along with a few short responses.