SPRING 2014 Showcase
Congratulations to Lincoln High School Senior Alejandra Padin-Dujon, National Achievement Scholar, named one of three top African American Scholars in Oregon. Alejandra was also recently selected as a Pearl Rotary Student of the Month where she spoke eloquently about the importance of studying languages and increasing our cultural awareness through the study of other languages. Alejandra is a top International Baccalaureate, Spanish Immersion and Arabic student, who also speaks French and has studied a little Farsi and Tajiki. Lincoln is incredibly proud of her focused dedication and work. Check out the link below for a photo and details.
It was an exciting day for Lincoln’s Percussion Ensemble at championships on Saturday. After months of hard work by all the student members, the ensemble took 1st place in open class at the NWAPA Championship. Way to go Cards!
Congratulations to the Lincoln Speech & Debate Team for placing 2nd in the Portland Interscholastic League District Championship this past weekend. Eleven Lincoln students now advance to the OSAA State Speech & Debate Championship which takes place April 24-26th at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon. Here are the results from Districts:
- Kelsey Dunn & Laurel McGrane: 4th place, Public Forum Debate, alternates to State
- McKinley Rodriguez: 3rd place, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, qualifying to State
- Brian Yang: 4th place, Lincoln-Douglas, qualifying to State with Proven Excellence
- Alejandra Padin & Emma Hoffman: 1st place tie, Parliamentary Debate, qualifying to State
- Adam Selker & Sven Burke: 1st place tie, Parliamentary Debate, qualifying to State
- Lukas Schwab & Yiling Liu: 2nd place, Cross-Examination Debate, qualifying to State
- Jack Sanders: qualifying to State in Student Congress
- Evan Ipock: qualifying to State in Student Congress
- Jiahui Lui: Tie for 1st place, Literary Interp for Beginning and Intermediate English Learners (LIBIELL), qualifying to State
- McKinley Rodriguez: 2nd place, Extemporaneous Speaking, qualifying to State; 3rd place, Impromptu Speaking, alternate to State
- Alejandra Padin: 2nd place, Impromptu Speaking, qualifying to State
- Kate Liu: 3rd place, Poetry Reading, alternate to State; Prose Reading, qualifying to State with Proven Excellence
- Marjorie Sheiman: 3rd place, Dramatic Interpretation, alternate to State
- Daniel Cohen & Alex Denman-Still: 3rd place, Dual Interpretation, alternate to State
- Daniel Cohen: 3rd place, Oratory, alternate to State
- Brian Yang: Finalist, After Dinner Speaking
Special congratulations go to two Lincoln Seniors, Emma Hoffman and McKinley Rodriguez, who will be recognized at State this year with the FOUR YEAR AWARD. This Special award is given to competitors who have qualified for and competed at the State Speech & Debate Championship all four years of high school. Both young women, along with Senior Kathryn Liu, have also served as the squad leaders for our team this year.
Photos from District are at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wanderingkayaks/sets/72157643442999004/
Snowboarding Team Competes at State
Lincoln’s Varsity Snowboarding Team wound down their season at the OISA State Snowboarding Championships from March 12-16 at Mount Bachelor. Thirteen Lincoln team members qualified for the Metro League, and 11 competed.
LINCOLN HIGH SCHOOL
2014 ROSE COURT
P.C. Mesher, Holley Carlson-Riddle, Hailey McPhee, Jasnery Valenzuela
Brendon Wong, Danny Brillhart, Graham Voss, Andrew Yates
Ting Lee, Griffin Bolte
The Lincoln Ski Team concluded its season at the state championships at Meadows last week, with Junior Emily Levine placing 8th in slalom and Senior Will Reuland placing 7th in GS. Will also took 3rd place in the Freestyle competition and won the Ski Meister award for the best combined results in Alpine and Freestyle! Junior Madison Bingham-Nelson won the "move up" award for slalom for placing 40th when she was seeded 98th. Other racers who did Lincoln proud at state were Junior Thomas Prihoda as an individual qualifier and the remaining girls’ varsity team of Senior Libby Anderson, Juniors Maddy Nicoloff, Avi Hill and Mia Klonsky, and Freshman Sophie Hill. Sophomore Brook Bauer was sidelined with an injury and unable to compete.
Oregonlive says high schoolers are left behind in computer science. Not true at Lincoln. Lincoln’s FTC Robotics program is currently the largest FTC high school program in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Go Tech Cards!
Check out the e-card created below by LHS Senior McKinley Rodriguez who participated in the PSU Innovation Challenge as part of Lincoln’s team last year.
CONGRATULATIONS MOCK TRIAL TEAM!
At the vigorous Multnomah County Regional Mock Trial Competition on Saturday, March 1, both of the Lincoln teams performed exceptionally well and both are advancing to the State Rounds at the Federal Courthouse in Portland on March 14-15. Only five teams out of 22 who competed at the Multnomah County Regional are advancing, and Lincoln is the only high school from the Regional competition with two teams advancing. Way to go Cards!
CONGRATULATIONS to our three Girls Varsity Basketball Senior Captains, as they have been named to the ALL CITY TEAM with Eve Goldman named All City 6A Player of the Year!
(voted by PIL Coaches)
All City-Honorable Mention ~ Hailey McPhee
All City-2nd Team ~ Kathleen "KC" Cook
All City-1st Team ~ Eve Goldman
All City-6A Player of the Year ~ Eve Goldman
Their individual success is a reflection of our TEAM success!
Go CARDS!! Hoop IT UP!
Congratulations to Lincoln Senior McKinley Rodriguez for excellence in poetry recitation Friday. She is one of three winners from today's Northern & Eastern Oregon Poetry Out Loud Recitation Contest in Beaverton. She recited three poems and was scored for physical presence, voice & articulation, dramatic appropriateness, level of difficult, evidence of understand, overall performance and accuracy. She now advances to the State Poetry Out Loud Contest next Saturday at the Hatfield Library, Willamette University, Salem, 1 PM – 4 PM.
* Contest details are at: http://www.oregonartscommission.org/programs/artslearning/poetry-out-loud#sthash.Qw0geWuU.dpuf
Way to go Poetry Recitation Cards!