Victoria Leary, School Counselor and Teacher
The Laurelhurst Counseling Program
The primary goal of my program is to ensure that every student is ready and able to receive the education we provide at our wonderful school. Sometimes students experience biocks to learning which may be difficult or impossible for teachers to address. Often a counselor can help in these difficult situations, so that is where i come in. It may be that a student needs someone to talk to, anger management, access to clothing, social skills training, or some other service. I try to provide services so that students are freed up to concentrate on their students. I also provice services to parents and teachers..
Students are referred to me by teachers, the principal, other staff, parents, and sometimes by the students themselves. Once students are referred to me I gather information as necessary, and create and carry out a plan to assist students. This often entails working with parents and can include consulting with the teachers, talking with the student, and working in the classroom. It can also include working with outside agencies and counselors. I encourage parents to contact me if they have concerns that things aren't going well for their child, whether at home, at school, and/or in the community.
In addition to helping students and families with a wide variety of difficulties, I also work to promote a respectful, friendly and collaborative atmosphere at school where students feel safe not only physically but emotionally.
Services that are part of my program include:
- Coordination of the Building Screening Committee--weekly staffings utilizing the expertise of our staff to brainstorm solutions to student difficulties.
- Creation and coordination of 504 Plans.
- Consultation—to parents, teachers, tutors, outside counselors and others.
- Direct instruction in the classroom—'School Succes Skills' (which is described under the sub-heading of the same name.)
- Classroom guidance classes
- Guidance counseling to individuals and groups of students.
- Parenting Support and Consultation
- Crisis Intervention--I am available to guide staff, students and families when crisis strikes.
Sometimes the best way I can be of help to students is by referring students or families to other helpers, for example:
- School Nurse
- School Psychologist
- Outside Counseling Resources
- Food & Clothing Sources
If you have ideas about how I can improve my program, please let me know. I welcome new ideas :)