Welcome to Hayhurst!
A Message from the Principal
March 31, 2014
The Portland School Board approved calendars for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 school years on March 31 and added two days to the current school year to make up for snow days. School will end this year on Friday, June 13.
PPS closed all schools three full days this school year due to inclement weather: Dec. 11, Feb. 7 and Feb. 10. To make up time, June 12 and 13, originally scheduled as teacher planning days, will now be full school days. School will let out for summer break Friday, June 13 and planning days will move to Monday and Tuesday, June 16 and 17.
Download the revised 2013-14 calendar.
Highlights of the approved 2014-15 and 2015-16 calendars:
- Instructional days: The calendars add two instructional days for students both years, agreed on in the new teachers' contract.
- Professional development: Teacher training will still occur on eight 2-hour late openings across the district. Focus and Priority schools, rated as low-performing by the state, will have three full-day teacher training days where students do not attend school.
- First day of school: For 2014-15, school will begin Tuesday Sept. 2 after Labor Day. But for 2015-16, school starts Thursday, Aug. 27. Labor Day is not until Sept. 7 that year. Kindergarten start times are usually up to three days after the official start of school.
- Parent/teacher conferences: Conferences move up to October rather than waiting until Thanksgiving week in November to give parents feedback on their students’ achievement earlier in the fall when they can work with the teacher more effectively to support any improvement needed. The approved calendar puts parent/teacher conferences Oct. 29-31 next year and Oct. 21-23 the year after.
- Thanksgiving Week: The school board changed the original proposal so that during Thanksgiving week, students will attend school for full days on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday both years.
- Last day of school: The last day of school for 2014-15 will now be Thursday, June 11 and the last day for 2015-16 will be Tuesday, June 7.
Download the approved 2014-15 calendar.
THE DREAM BIG PROJECT
The Dream BIG, Win BIG raffle was a BIG success! A big THANK YOU to everyone who participated! We are getting closer to having a new playground for our community. For more information, please visit our website at hayhurstdreambigproject.weebly.com.
Lego Robotics Team Wins Trophy
One of the Hayhurst Neighborhood School Lego Robotics teams, the Windy Warriors, won first place for Innovative Solution at the Oregon State First Lego League robotics competition on January 19, 2014.