Run for Gray
Nike employees' donations will be matched DOUBLE in this fitness-based fundraiser. Please use this link for more information.
|Pledge Turn In BEGINS||Friday||10/2/15|
|Pledge Turn In for Drawings||Tuesday||10/6/15|
|Pledge Turn In for Drawings||Thursday||10/8/15|
|Pledge Turn In for Drawings||Tuesday||10/13/15|
|Final Pledge Turn In for Drawings||Friday||10/16/15|
Grandparents' & Special Friends' Day
Grandparents' and Special Friends' Day
Thursday, October 29
8:45 AM- Noon
Who is your student going to invite to the RGMS Grandparents' and Special Friends' Day? In this community-building event, grandparents and other adults who play a special role in the students’ lives are invited for a morning coffee social with student performances, followed by classroom visits.
PLEASE CONSIDER SIGNING UP AS A PTA VOLUNTEER TO HELP SET UP ON WEDNESDAY OR HOST THE EVENT THURSDAY.
You can learn details or sign up for a slot on the RGMS PTA Volunteer Spot Page using these easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our Sign-ups on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/BQrN47
2) Review the Sign-ups listed and choose the one(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on VolunteerSpot and your email will not be shared with other organizations.
Questions about volunteering for Grandparents Day?
Contact event chair Georgea Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org
RGMS PARENT-TEACHER-STUDENT CONFERENCES
Wednesday, October 21 & Thursday, October 22
No School October 23
8:30 AM - Noon
1:15 - 4:00 PM
5:00 - 7:45 PM
Conferences are held “Arena Style” with teachers clustered in central locations (cafeteria, library, upper hall rooms).Advance sign-up online will be available starting on October 13. It will end at 3:00 PM the night before the first conference day and will be manual sign-up at teachers' stations starting at 8:30 AM on Wednesday.
Tips for Effective Conferences: From PPS and from the National Association of Elementary School Principals
Please have your student run Synergy StudentVue and show you their grades before attending conferences. All RGMS students are expected to be able to do this. Thanks!
FIRST ANNUAL USED BOOK SALE: Donate and shop during your lag time at FALL CONFERENCES
The RGMS Library is holding a book drive for our first annual used book sale during parent-teacher conferences. Please bring your used books to the library to donate. Proceeds will be used to buy new library materials. Cash or check only, please.
We will accept donated books for all ages and on all subjects for the sale. We especially need:
· Graphic Novels
· Children’s books for any age
· Young Adult Literature
· Adult Literature
Like Us on Facebook!
RGMS has a Facebook page now! Please "LIKE" us so you can see the great things we are doing. Our new page is Robert Gray Middle School.
We have IMMEDIATE OPENINGS for:
· Lunch recycling program support
· 1-2 leads for the Magazine Sales Fund Raiser. This is an easy and impactful job with lots of school support.
· We also need a leader for our famous Multicultural Fair, the biggest event of the school year held each Spring. An awesome way to really become a part of and make a difference in the RGMS community.
Please go to - http://vols.pt/BQrN47 to find out more about these opportunities or sign up! Send it to the grandparents, get them signed up, too J
Fred Meyer Rewards for Music
Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to the RGMS Music Department at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards. Search for us by name or our non-profit number 89230. Then, every time you use your card, RGMS music earns a donation. It doesn't affect your other Fred Meyer Rewards Card benefits and we make money!
How to Get Help
Whom to Call: See this chart to know how to get help directly.
ACADEMICS: There are many ways to help your child keep up with school and homework.
- Week at a Glance: Many teachers post their weekly or monthly calendars on the RGMS website.
- ParentVue & Student Vue: Students' grades are posted on Synergy and can be seen by using ParentVue and StudentVue. Please keep in mind that when using an online grading system, it may take a while for you to see the grades.
- Daily Planner: Each student has a daily planner which has calendar spaces for all assignments. In addition, the Bookmark pages are used to track daily reading at home.
- Binder or Accordion File: Helping students sort and organize their binders or accordion file is invaluable. Please help them recycle papers not needed, locate homework, and organize work to be turned in (then check that it did get turned in.)
- Locker: Feel free to check in at the main office and then go to your child's locker with him or her to look for missing work. If a locker change is needed, contact Mrs. Madison, principal. Changing locker location or partner can help.
- Texting & Timers: Teach your student to set the timer on their phone to remind them to show up for things like test retakes at lunch. Texting them with reminders can help, too.
- Online Textbooks: The science textbooks are online and easy to use at home. See the teachers' webpages for information.
- Contact the Teacher: Emails addresses are located on the RGMS website. Phone contact is through the main office, 503-916-5676. Going directly to the source is often the best route.
SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL: We are here to help young people grow!
- Talk to Your Child: Make time each day to talk to your child about things going well and problems they may experience.
- Learn about Young Adolescence: This fascinating and perplexing stage of life has been researched and there are many excellent publications out there that can help you understand and accept your child's struggles.
- Interact with Peers: Keeping your child busy can help them make friends and mature well. RGMS has an excellent SUN Community School with numerous extended-day activities.
- Exercise: Vigorous physical activity and time spent outside are super helpful for teens.
- Get Counseling: Our school guidance counselor, Ms. Hyde, and our assistant principal, Mr. Jeans, are excellent sources for seeking help at school.