9th Grade Academy
The 9th grade academy is a group of small learning communities where students have teachers in common who provide support and get to know their students well. Currently, our ninth grade academy consists of English, Math and Science classes. There is also a support class for students who need extra help and extra time for assignments.
The names of our five ninth grade academies come from Oregon rivers: Columbia, McKenzie, Rogue, Salmon, and Willamette.
- In English, 9th graders study both contemporary and classical literature and write in a variety of modes.
- In Math, students take Algebra 1-2, Algebra 3-4, or Geometry, depending on their level.
- In Science, students Biology.
Small Learning Community Grant
In October 2007, Franklin was awarded a Small Learning Community grant that provides money and opportunities to enrich and improve the academy structure. Currently, those funds are being used in many ways:
- Extended library hours
- Trips to colleges and universities
- Community-building activities
- Tutoring (available before and after school)
- FHS Planner and other specific academy supplies for students
- College Center