Benjamin Frankin, our "Benji"
Our mission is to help all students prepare for a post secondary education and to successfully meet the challenges and demands of a complex, changing and technological world. In association with our community of businesses, families and students, we are committed to providing excellent instruction in a caring environment. We are dedicated to challenging all students to develop skills, knowledge, and attitudes, and to nurturing them in their growth as life-long learners and positive, responsible participants in life and society as demonstrated by a Franklin High School Diploma.
- Student-faculty ratio: 20:1
- Teachers holding a master’s degree or higher: 79%
- Teachers who are “highly qualified” under the NCLB: 100%
- Founded in 1915; built in 1917
- 12 additional acres of campus purchased by students in 1924
- A Pictorial Journey: The building of FHS
- Portland Public Schools School Report Card: Franklin
- Franklin High School is front-and-center on the front page of The Oregonian on August 3rd...check us out!
- 2012-13 School Profile here
- Keep up with Portland Public School via the monthly publication "The Pulse" here.
Special Programs and Classes:
- Law and public policy program
- Advanced Scholar Program
- World Language Institute
- Chinese Flagship program
- Ninth grade academies (science, English, math)
- Advanced Placement (15 classes in 5 subjects)
- Honors credit by arrangement
- Visual and performing arts
- Industrial arts classes include, welding and woods in freestanding shop
- Other electives include child development, foods, medical terminology, psychology
- PCC credits available for some classes
- Member of 5A OSAA classification
- 2005-06 PIL boys soccer champions
- 2005-06 PIL girls basketball champions
- Mt. Tabor
- Creative Science
- Named for Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), printer, author, scientist, inventor, musician, revolutionary, Founding Father, ambassador. “Genius without education is like silver in the mine.” (Ben Franklin)