Franklin High School
Quaker Announcements for Monday, September 22nd, 2014
Early Release for Athletics TODAY: Please dismiss JVII Men’s Soccer at 3:00pm for a game at FHS.
REMINDER: Backpacks and bags are NOT allowed at PIL Athletic Event. We hope to see you there!
Attn: Students/Parents-Guardians-Free and Reduced forms are due BY October 8th. Please fill out a NEW application for this school year, they are available online or you can pick up a hard copy in the Cafeteria or Office. Meals will go to FULL PRICE on the 8th . Once APPROVED, please SAVE your APPROVAL LETTER for confirmation of your Free/Reduced status. This is the letter that you will need to receive reduced prices on SPORTS FEES, NIGHT SCHOOL, TESTING FEES, ETC. The Cafeteria Staff is unable to give out the Eligibility forms at this time so you will need to call 503-916-3402 to get a replacement letter mailed to you.
Senior photos will be due in January 2015. More details to come later in the fall.
Important Continuing Items
· Hey boys, interested in wearing short shorts? Powdertuff Volleyball applications are due Oct.1st and available in the main office. Sign up today!!
· Freshman if you’re looking to get involved; join ASB Student Government! The application deadline has been extended until Monday, September 22nd. Applications are in the office or in Ms. Amador’s Room # 257.
· Need to brag your Quaker swag? Stop by the office or the Quaker Nation Station and pick up an order form for some wonderful discounted Franklin apparel. The online store includes some great customized Nike and Lids items. Don’t wait; the online store will only be open until September 22nd to facilitate order processing in time for the Fall season.
· Attention all students interested in starting or continuing a club this year: You must submit a completed charter form each year. Pick up the application from room 109 and turn it in by the 23rd so you can have a table at the Club Fair. The fair is on Thursday, September 25th during tutorial. See Amber in 109 if you have questions.
· Wanna win $5.00 by just wearing maroon? EVERY FRIDAY during football season, show your QUAKER PRIDE by wearing MAROON and you’ll get a chance at $5.00! So, don’t forget to wear MAROON on EVERY QUAKER FRIDAY!
· 1st Science Bowl meeting is Tuesday, September 23rd at lunch in Ms. Biagini’s Room # 234 and every Tuesday at lunch.
· Join the QSA in our new home for the year - Ms. Vinger's room, #254 every Thursday, at lunch.
· PROJECT OPTIONS IS BACK! Learn how to plan a good time so you don't end up in trouble and learn the truths about alcohol effects and discuss real life situations. Project Options is here during lunch in Room 136 on Mondays and Thursdays. Come hang out, eat pizza, and get a free gift card.
· Do you want to take a stand? Do you want to advocate against human trafficking? Do you want to educate others of MODERN world slavery? Do you want to put an end to the corruptness of society? Or do you want to learn more about this issue? Then join stop the trade club! There will be a club fair on September 25 after school!
College, Career and Counseling Info
Are you interested in Design, Digital Art, Communication and Innovation? Come to spend a morning at Ziba Design! Tour the office and learn what skills, experience and education are necessary to pursue a career in the design industry. Ziba is a design and innovation consultancy that employs experts in: product, industrial and interior design. Interior architecture, digital art and more! See your career coordinator to complete an application NOW! Space is very limited!
The after-school Jobs 101 class will be starting on Monday, September 29th. You can earn a .5 elective credit, learn how to write a resume, interview, fill out job applications, search for jobs and you may even earn a paid internship! Class is Mondays from 3:30-5pm and runs through January. Space is limited so pick up an application in 109 soon!
Attention all students interested in Architecture, Construction management, Engineering, Design, Working with your hands, Being part of a team or just Figuring out how things work…!!! The ACE Mentor Program has been designed to help you to explore new careers, turn creativity into reality and develop teamwork. ACE gives you the opportunity to work directly with practicing professionals in the Architecture, Construction and Engineering career fields; visit multiple professional workplaces; collaborate with a team of mentors and students on a building design project and more. ACE Mentor Program application window is open NOW! Hurry up! Pick up an application in room 108 today!
Attention students interested in Health careers! OHSU is hosting an exciting conference on October and is recruiting interested high school students who would consider volunteering some time at the conference. Volunteer will be assisting with the following tasks – Assisting Exhibitors/Set-up, Managing registration desk, etc. If this interests you, the benefit for students would be getting some ultrasound knowledge and opportunities to develop collaborative ties across the globe they might not otherwise come in contact with. Talk to Raquel in room 108 about the registration ASAP!!!
Attention girls!!! Are you a young woman between the ages of 16 and 19? Want to learn about a career in firefighting? Apply NOW for the Portland Fire Explorer Program for women. Explorers participating in the Program will be able to build Skills, Confidence, Leadership, and Teamwork in a Fire Service Environment. Explorers will experience:
• Hands-on fire ground training
• Emergency medical response training
• Ride along opportunities…and more!
Application Deadline is October 4, 2014. Talk to Raquel in room 108 if you want to apply!
National Manufacturing Career Day is October 3rd! Join us for a Manufacturing Day Bus Tour open to all students interested in a career in manufacturing. Students will visit and tour three different manufacturers in the region from Kraft Foods, to Gunderson, Vigor and Boeing. Manufacturing hosts will provide tours as well as information from hiring managers and employees’ personal career pathways. Lunch and transportation will be provided. Pick up an application in room 108 ASAP! Space is limited.
Post-Secondary Resources for Students from Foster Care: Current and former foster youth may be eligible to receive assistance with their postsecondary education and training needs. Youth from foster care can receive up to $3000 a year to help with the cost of attending an eligible post-secondary institution including: college, university and vocational or trade school. If you have questions or you think you qualify, talk to your Counselor right away!
ZGF, the largest architectural firm in Oregon is opening its doors for the ARCHITECTURE CAREER DAY! If you are interested in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Interior or Urban Design, this is your opportunity. Students will learn about the architecture industry, tour the ZGF offices, participate in a tour to look at various building styles in downtown Portland, and participate in a team activity to design a school. This opportunity is for all students! But space is limited - apply today! See Raquel in room 108 today!
This is an updated list of colleges visiting FHS this month. Sign up in the Counseling Office or in your Naviance account to meet with their representatives!
- Friday, September 26th at 10:00 am: Lewis & Clark College (room 108)
- Monday, September 29th at 1:30 pm: Pacific Lutheran University (room 108)
- Tuesday, September 30th at 10:30 am: George Fox University (room 108)
More schools are added each week – keep abreast of visits through your Naviance account and on the FHS website.
Have a GREAT DAY!