IB Options: Diploma vs. Certificate
Junior and Senior students at Cleveland have the opportunity to earn a full IB Diploma, earn one or more IB Certificates in individual subject areas, or simply enroll in single IB classes. All Cleveland students may participate in IB.
To earn a full IB Diploma, students must:
- complete and pass internal and external assessments in six content areas of IB: Literature (English), Second Language, Social Science, History, Science, Math, and an IB elective. IB elective options include Art, Theater, a second social science, a second science, or a third language.
- complete a seventh course, Theory of Knowledge, along with the presentation and essay that accompany that course.
- complete the Extended Essay, an individual research paper of 4000 words.
- participate in and log extracurricular CAS (creative, active and service to the community) activities: 150 hours total, fairly evenly divided among these three areas.
To earn an IB Certificate, students must:
- complete and pass internal and external assessments in one of the six content areas of IB: First Language (English), Second Language, History, Science, Math, or an IB elective.
For more information, please contact Cleveland's IB Coordinator, Jennifer Wiandt, at email@example.com or 503-916-5120.