School News and Announcements
Alliance High School @ Benson Program Overview
Alliance @ Benson is an alternative education program that issues a Portland Public Schools High School diploma. We offer an academically rigorous alternative to the typical classroom environment. Because of our non-traditional classroom structure and hours of operation, students must have self discipline and be highly self-motivated, organized and willing to take responsibility for their education in order to succeed.
Many different kinds of students attend Alliance @ Benson: those who excel academically, or are taking college courses, students who have jobs, students with children, students with major athletic or artistic pursuits, students with emotional or health-related issues who need mentoring, or students who for some reason are seeking an alternative educational environment. Many have found that Alliance @ Benson has been a fine preparation for college and life.
should be 17 - 20 years old.
- Exceptions are made on a case–by-case basis or recommendation by a medical professional.
- Students should have 16 credits or more (teen parents exception).
- Students should live in the PPS district or have the ability to obtain an inter-district transfer.
- Students must be able to work independently.
- Students must be committed to attending school on a daily basis.
Alliance High School at Benson is available to any secondary school student in the PPS district, upon approval through an admission process.
Grade levels: 10-12
Vice Principal: Lynn Buedefeldt
Purpose: Alliance High School at Benson has two central purposes:
- to provide an alternative educational experience for students who have not experienced success in other high school environments
- to provide students who are working, taking care of children or otherwise attending to family and personal obligations with instruction in all required areas toward graduation with a standard diploma
Student Learning Environment:
Alliance High School at Benson provides a flexible scheduling program that is well-suited to teens seeking a high school diploma and who want a smaller educational environment. Students who were unsuccessful attending school during the day or attending comprehensive high schools will find an environment that is personalized and flexible.
It is a goal of the Alliance High School at Benson program to help students build a positive self-image. The program is designed to assist maturing and self-directed young people in assuming responsibility for their education. Small classes, faculty advisors and positive reinforcement are used to encourage students to plan and achieve goals.
All classes use the independent study model. Based on student ability and motivation, students will earn credits when they have completed course requirements. Each course will provide students with a syllabus that is aligned with state and/or national core standards. On-line credit recovery courses are also available for students. Special emphasis is placed on reading, writing, and mathematics to ensure students are prepared to meet State Standards and to earn a PPS diploma.
Alliance High School at Benson provides a positive learning environment for alternative students who need to attend a school with flexible schedule as well as for students who would benefit from a small-school environment. Our mission is to educate individuals to think and communicate critically, creatively, and effectively as they become life-long learners and contributing citizens of the world.
- We build on the strengths of our students, staff, and community, creating a culture of educational excellence.
- We challenge our students and staff to attain the highest standards in education, both inside and outside of the school environment.
- We trust and treat each other with respect as unique individuals, possessing intrinsic value and capable of positive change.
- We foster an environment of openness, flexibility and collaborative decision-making among all members of the Alliance High School at Benson community.
- We demonstrate accountability through student success in completion of their high school education and achievement of their personal goals, and their readiness to enter the world of post-secondary education and work.
- We serve our community by providing assistance through student and staff commitment to service learning and responsible citizenship.
If you are determined to continue your education, you owe it to yourself to find out more about Alliance High School at Benson. Call (503) 916-6486 for more information and for upcoming information session dates.