School News & Announcements
Welcome to Ainsworth
Connect to Kindergarten 2014
Ainsworth Connect to Kindergarten and Spanish Immersion Meeting
All interested families with children entering Kindergarten for Fall 2014 are welcome to attend.
Monday, March 17, 2014
6:30 PM in the Ainsworth Auditorium
Featured speakers will be the Ainsworth Kindergarten Teachers in the English and Spanish Immersion programs and Cindy Roby, Principal
Spanish Immersion Schedule for 2014-2015
All families applying to the Immersion Program must attend a tour or an evening meeting. Limited spaces are available for the tours. These tours involve going into the classrooms during instructional times therefore we request no children on the tours.
TOURS - we will begin scheduling tours after January 13, 2014
Tour dates: February 12, 26, and March 12, 2014 beginning at 11:45 in the library.
Evening meeting: March 17, 2014 beginning at 6:30 pm in the Ainsworth Auditorium.
School begins at 8:00 am and ends at 2:15 pm.
Ainsworth Elementary is a Kindergarten through 5th grade school located in the southwest hills of Portland, Oregon. Our school is an immersion and neighborhood school - which means that some of our students who attend Ainsworth are enrolled in the Spanish Immersion Program (Spanish/English) and the remaining students live within our neighborhood and are enrolled in the English (non-immersion) program. Instruction is differentiated to meet the needs and abilities of each student. Ainsworth is committed to a balanced curriculum that includes art, media and technology, physical education and music. Our students are connected to their community through class projects and service.
Our mission is to support all students in achieving their very highest educational and personal potential, to inspire in them an enduring love for learning and to prepare them to contribute as citizens of a diverse, multicultural and international community. Our staff, families and community members’ vision is to sustain and continue to develop a school, which provides our children with the best education possible. Ainsworth’s staff, community and Site Council have developed an outstanding School Improvement Plan, which includes the following programs:
- A rigorous and challenging curriculum that promotes personal success, educational excellence and physical well-being.
- The development of the skills necessary for self-direction and life-long learning.
- A sense of connection with, and service to, both the local and global community.
- The expectations of respect for oneself and for others.
- A campus environment that is emotionally and physically safe in its physical setting.
- An appreciation on the part of all students for the arts.
What makes us unique?
- A neighborhood English program and a Spanish Immersion program, K – 5th grades
- Blocks for literacy and math
- Focus on the Arts with music and art instruction
- Young Audiences support in grades K – 5th, an award winning Samba Band
- Entire staff trained in Second Steps and Steps to Respect, friendship skills and anti-bullying curriculum
- Computer Lab with a Smart Board
- Tuition-based full day Kindergarten
- And much, much more
Browse our web site and experience the learning opportunities that are happening in our school every day. The staff, students and families that make up our Ainsworth community welcome you.
Cindy Roby, Principal