School News & Announcements
Welcome to ACCESS Academy
@ Rose City Park
ACCESS Academy Admission Information for 2015-16
Thank you for your interest in ACCESS Academy, Portland Public Schools' district-wide alternative program for highly gifted students! As of today (enrollment in 2015-16 may be affected by space-sharing and school boundary issues that are the subject of ongoing District review. Please note:), ACCESS is working closely with PPS District staff to determine our enrollment capacity and admissions timeline for 2015-16. Our capacity for new
- We do expect to accept applications from and admit new students to ACCESS at all grade levels 1-8 in 2015-16.
- We currently expect District staff will resolve the co-location and boundary issues by , thus providing clarity about ACCESS's capacity for new growth in 2015-16.
- We will post 2015-16 application materials (which includes all necessary forms), FAQs, and detailed application deadlines as soon as these co-location / capacity issues are resolved, likely around February 2, 2015. Please continue to monitor this website, because we will post materials and deadline information sooner if the above issues are resolved sooner.
- For your planning purposes, please note that ACCESS's admission application will require for 2015-16:
- Evidence of 99th %ile+ eligibility (test scores);
- One teacher recommendation from the past calendar year;
- One principal/counselor recommendation from the past calendar year;
- Parent/guardian statement regarding student's need for an alternative program;
- Student statement;
- [Optional]: Declaration of Free-/Reduced Meal eligibility status.
- ACCESS will provide information sessions and building tours, co-led by ACCESS staff and current families, in February and March. This year, we will provide separate sessions for prospective elementary (Grades 1-5) and middle school (Grades 6-8) applicants. Dates and times will be finalized and posted on this website by .
If you have specific questions about your student's eligibility or ACCESS's admission process, please e-mail Principal David Wood, firstname.lastname@example.org, and include information about the best times/ways to reach you.
Principal, ACCESS Academy
TAG Information: For further information about testing and identification, please see the TAG website: http://www.pps.k12.or.us/departments/tag/index.htm
A Message from the Principal
Dear Prospective ACCESS Family,
We are thrilled that you are considering the ACCESS Academy Alternative Program for your student. ACCESS is a growing, vibrant, supportive community of 243 highly gifted 1st to 8th-grade learners and their families. We expect to grow to 300+ highly gifted students in 2014-15. The ACCESS community is delighted to have a new home at Rose City Park in Northeast Portland that can accommodate this growth and provide new program opportunities.
ACCESS Academy provides curriculum acceleration and enrichment options to meet the needs of our highly gifted learners. ACCESS’s outstanding teaching staff is highly skilled at meeting gifted learners’ rate and level of learning. Our flexible program design -- including a Walk to Math program for grades 1-6 -- allows for flexibility in meeting students’ needs based on ability level, rather than just their chronological age or grade level. Our enriched curriculum includes Art, Wellness, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Library, and Technology for all students.
ACCESS Academy Atoms come from all over Portland, and from all walks of life. They have in common: (1) exceptional performance (99th percentile+) on one or more nationally-normed, standardized tests, and (2) a demonstrated need for an alternative educational program. ACCESS students are past and current state champions in Chess, Lego Robotics, Intel Science Fair, Geography and Spelling Bees and more. Just as important, ACCESS students are a caring, supportive, service-oriented community that take care of one another.
We strive at ACCESS to welcome a community of highly gifted learners that is representative of the racial, cultural, and linguistic diversity of Portland Public Schools. ACCESS welcomes applications from students with disabilities, students who receive Special Education services, and emergent bilingual students who receive ESL services.
For more information about ACCESS, I encourage you to review the ACCESS brochure and FAQs found on our website under “Important Information” here: www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/access. I also encourage you to attend a school tour on one of the dates posted on our website, and/or to come to a ACCESS Information Night on Thursday, March 6th, from 6-7 PM.
We look forward to sharing more about ACCESS Academy with you!
David J. Wood
Administrator, ACCESS Academy @ Rose City Park