School News & Announcements
Dec. 15 SKG Mtg. 7:00-8:30
Dec. 17 Late Opening
Dec. 19 Spirit Day - pajama day!
Dec. 22 - Jan. 2 Winter Break
Jan. 5th - school resumes
Jan. 8th - Site Council 3:15
Jan. 14th - Community Mtg. 6:30
Jan. 19th - NO SCHOOL
Jan. 21st - Late Opening
Jan. 23rd - Spirit Day "Mismatch day"
Jan. 26th - SKG Mtg. 7:00
Jan. 29th - Grading Period Ends
Jan. 29th - Lost & Found sent to Clothes Closet
Jan. 30th - NO SCHOOL
A Message from the Principal
The information on the changes to the school transfer policy went out late last week. I wanted to make sure everyone takes note of the proposed changes and how you can share your thoughts. If you have thoughts of deviating from the Abernethy, Hosford, Cleveland feeder pattern please ensure that you are informed about what these changes mean for you. The changes are significant.
Share your views on changes to the school transfer policy:
Portland Public Schools is considering changes to the school transfer policy to make it more equitable and to help strengthen programs at all neighborhood schools.
How changes are being made:
· A citizens’ committee spent many months studying the policy and interviewing stakeholders.
· The committee recommended changes to Superintendent Carole Smith on Nov. 4.
· The superintendent made recommendations to the school board Nov. 25.
· The school board is scheduled to vote on changes Jan. 13.
Superintendent Smith’s recommendations include:
· Ending the neighborhood-to-neighborhood lottery system and using only the petition system for students to transfer to a neighborhood school outside the neighborhood in which they live.
· Strengthening the petition system in which families can explain why a child needs to transfer to a different neighborhood school.
· Conducting a review of all focus option schools, including Dual Language Immersion programs, ACCESS Academy and Metropolitan Learning Center.
· Changing the lottery for focus option schools to increase access for low-income families. After low-income applicants have been approved, siblings of children already in that school would continue to receive preference.
· Allowing students who must transfer to a school for special education services to stay at that school through the highest grade.
Share your views:
Testify at a meeting:
· School Board Meetings, BESC, 501 N. Dixon St.:
o Tuesday, Dec. 9, 6 to 6:30 pm. Open testimony on lottery changes. 6:30 pm: Public comment. (Interpretation in supported languages provided.)
o Tuesday, Jan. 6, 6 to 6:30 pm. Public comment.
o Tuesday, Jan. 13, 6 to 6:30 pm. Public comment.
Questions: Portland School Board Office 503-916-3741 or firstname.lastname@example.org
I am sure this last week before winter break will fly by. I want to take that opportunity to wish you all the very best for a happy, safe holiday. I also wish you the very best in the New Year.
SPIRIT DAY INFORMATION
Nov 21 – College day (the Civil War between OSU and UofO is near…Wear something to represent OSU, UofO or any other college)
Dec 19 – Pajama day (wear your favorite pajamas)
Jan 23 – Mismatch day (wear stripes, polka-dots, floral, and crazy patterns and colors together in one outfit)
Feb 27 – Occupation day (wear something to represent a job or career)
Mar 20 – Elegant day (wear your finest outfit today)
April 24 – Sports day (wear something sporty – from a team or sport, be creative)
May 29 – Abernethy day (wear something to represent Abernethy – SKG t-shirt, tech trek, basketball…or make your own)