|The class of 1934 poses at the end of the school year in front of the old Woodmere building. Front row adults from left to right are Mrs. M. Hogue, Miss Georgia Ewing, and Mrs. Alevia Alexander (Principal); third row 5th from left, Janet Wagstaff; back row 4th from left, Clayton Munzer.|
Woodmere Elementary School
7900 S.E. Duke St.
Portland, OR 97206
by C.R. Norman, Woodmere Principal, 1962-68
The original Woodmere building was located just south of where the current building is now (7900 S.E. Duke St.). Woodmere was an eight-room structure with four rooms up and four rooms down. After the main building was completed in 1913, various additions were constructed so that in 1918 the school was complete with twelve classrooms, an office, and a gym.
This original construction included beveled plate glass windows. Mrs. Queenie Swanson, a veteran of 44 years teaching at Woodmere, recalls that the stairs were made of solid oak treads and were turned over when they became grooved by the wear of thousands of footsteps. She also stated that the east wind in the winter kept the building very cold and that the custodians often stayed overnight to keep the coal furnace going.
The present building was constructed in portions as was the original. In 1954 the new primary building was opened for grades 1-4. In 1958 the old building was torn down and the new primary building was expanded to provide for grades 1-8. The area that was served by the Woodmere building today includes the Kelly, Clark, and Whitman attendance areas.
In 1963 Woodmere had 18 classrooms, a gym, a cafeteria, a home economics room, and an industrial arts room. The latter two rooms were remodeled in 1987 to enlarge the library.
Woodmere is presently a K-5 school.
Past Principals of Woodmere
Mrs. Alevia Alexander on 8th Grade
Mr. Magaurn and Mrs. Alevia Alexander
|R. Gordon Neideigh||1971-1980|
Please send comments or suggestions to: