The first records of the school which became Abernethy
Elementary School are dated from 1869 and indicate that the school
began in a portable building. The first school building (then called
"Stephens School") was erected in 1877 on the block that
is bounded by SE 7th and 8th Streets and SE Stephens and Harrison
Avenues. The 1877 school was rebuilt in 1887 on the same site, but
the building was destroyed by a fire only two years later in 1889.
A new structure was erected on the same site in 1890.
the school was rebuilt on a new site at SE 14th Avenue and Orange
Street (its present location). At that same time, the school's name
was also changed from "Stephens" to "Abernethy"
to honor George Abernethy, the first provisional governor of Oregon.
1926, the Oregonian reported that:
ceremonies were conducted on April 26, 1926 by H.M. Sherwood,
Principal, and attended by pupils and teachers of Abernethy School.
A cornerstone was placed containing names of students and teachers
attending Abernethy, along with a copy of the Oregonian history
of the school and community, and a flag of the United States.
The school has 24 classrooms and is located at the corner of Birch
and Orange. The foundation was laid May 24, 1925, and the school
was constructed at a cost of $270,000".
is proud of its history. Several families at Abernethy have had
two or more generations attend the school. We believe that our rich
history gives the school a strong foundation on which to build a
to About Abernethy)