Great Schools, Great Neighborhoods
School Choice Events
Ask for help
- Call 503-916-3205 to speak with an enrollment and transfer specialist. Staff is available to help in Spanish and Russian.
- For help in Chinese, 503-916-3585; Vietnamese, 503-916-3584; and Somali, 503-916-3586.
- E-mail your question to the Enrollment and Transfer Center.
- Visit the Enrollment and Transfer Center in person at 501 N. Dixon St., Suite 140.
To learn more about the School Choice process and apply in the school choice lottery go to the School Choice page.
Information for families entering kindergarten, middle or high school in Fall 2015
Will your child start kindergarten, middle school or high school in August? Portland has great neighborhood schools ready to welcome you. Among these webpages you will find information about open houses at all neighborhood schools, as well as at focus option schools (specializing in such topics as art, science or languages), alternative and charter schools.
Most families find a great fit at their neighborhood school. Families looking for a specialized program or a different school setting must apply for a transfer in February.
Follow these steps to choose your school:
- Visit your neighborhood school. Find your school here.
- Attend the open house for your neighborhood school.
- If you are also interested in a different school, attend that open house as well.
Email the PPS Enrollment & Transfer Center or call: 503-916-3205
School choices in Portland Public Schools:
Families are guaranteed a spot at their neighborhood school, assigned by address. Identify your assigned school here. The Portland School Board is expected to vote in January on changes to the transfer system, which is used when families wish to attend a school outside their neighborhood.
What the board is considering:
- Focus-option schools:
Families would continue to use the PPS lottery to apply to a focus-option school. Focus option schools specialize in the arts, sciences, language immersion or other topic areas.
- Neighborhood transfers:
Board action could change the process for applying to a neighborhood school outside the neighborhood in which you live. Rather than applying in the lottery, families would file a petition, explaining why a child needs to attend school in a different neighborhood. PPS would then use criteria to grant or deny the petition. More information will be available at www.pps.net/schoolchoice after the board votes.
Families use the lottery to apply to focus option schools. The system for applying to a different neighborhood (non-focus) school is expected to be clarified in January.
- High schools: Feb. 4 to Feb. 18, 2015
- K-8 level schools: Feb. 9 to March 6, 2015
- Apply in the lottery: Apply online or download a paper form at www.pps.net/schoolchoice
- Outcome: Families will learn by late April whether they got into school(s) applied for.
Please note that the options and timelines listen in this webpage only apply to PPS residents. Families who live outside of PPS will need to apply using a different process and timeline.