Choosing your school, 2013-14
School Choice Events
Ask for help
- Call 503-916-3205 to speak with an enrollment and transfer specialist. Staff is available to help in Spanish and Russian.
- For help in Chinese, 503-916-3585; Vietnamese, 503-916-3584; and Somali, 503-916-3586.
- E-mail your question to the Enrollment and Transfer Center.
- Visit the Enrollment and Transfer Center in person at 501 N. Dixon St., Suite 140.
To learn more about the School Choice process and apply in the school choice lottery go to the School Choice page.
Information for families entering kindergarten, middle or high school in Fall 2014
Will your child start kindergarten, middle school or high school in September? Or are you looking to transfer to a different PPS school from your current school? If the answer is yes, you and your student are making an important school transition. How should you choose the right school?
Most families find a great fit at their neighborhood school. Families looking for a specialized program or a different school setting must apply for a transfer in February.
Follow these steps to choose your school:
- Visit your neighborhood school. Find your school here.
- Discuss other public school choices, such as a focus or language immersion school.
- Enroll in your neighborhood school or apply for a transfer to another school.
PPS Enrollment & Transfer Center • 503-916-3205
School choices in Portland Public Schools:
- Neighborhood schools:
Assigned by address.
- Focus schools:
Specialized programs such as language immersion or the arts.
- Other schools:
Students can apply for a transfer to a different neighborhood school if that school has transfer slots available. The district determines slots each year.
Students are guaranteed access to their neighborhood school. We encourage families to attend an open house (see dates listed here) and enroll at the school by April 30. This way you can attend school events and meet staff and other families to help your child make a successful transition.
Students interested in a focus school or another neighborhood school must apply in the school choice lottery. Students may only apply to other neighborhood schools that have transfer slots. Slots are announced in the winter at www.pps.net/schoolchoice
- High school lottery: Jan. 27 - Feb. 21, 2014.
- All other schools’ lottery: Feb. 3 - March 7, 2014
- Apply in the lottery: Download a school transfer application and checklist at www.pps.net/schoolchoice.
- Outcome: Families will learn by late April whether they got in to the school(s) applied for.