In compliance with the Oregon TAG Mandate for gifted education, Portland Public Schools focuses its services on meeting the student's instructional level and rate of learning every day in the classroom across the curriculum. Classroom teachers assess a student's level and rate in all subject areas and modify the instruction to provide appropriate content challenge and instructional pacing.
To facilitate this approach, the principal is responsible to oversee the identification process, arrange staff development and parent meetings, and act as an on-site resource for gifted education in the school. From the District Office, TAG TOSA's (Teachers On Special Assignment) and Achievement Coordinators assist in identification procedures, alternative program options, staff development, parent meetings, and instructional planning to meet students' needs.
The administrator of the TAG Department is Erika Gillis, Director of Education Innovation.
The TAG Office is currently located at the Rice Professional Development Academy:
6433 NE Tillamook
Portland, Oregon 97213
Heather Egan, Administrative Secretary
Guide to the TAG Website
- Standards: The Oregon TAG Mandate, District TAG Policies, Compliance Concerns, Required Corrective Actions, Definition of TAG Terms, Appeals and Complaints Process
- Identification and Testing:Testing Information and schedules, Forms needed to start the identification process, surveys for parents and students once identification has been completed, Screening & Observation Tools, Identification Process Forms
- Early Entry and Grade Advancement:Procedures and Forms for EE and Advancement
- Elementary, Middle Schools & High Schools: Includes resources for that specific grade range.
- Parent Advisory Council (TAGAC): Dates of TAGAC meetings, minutes and committee work.
- TAG 101 Meeting:Information about the yearly introductory meeting for parents of newly identified TAG students along with parent information brochures.
- ACCESS Alternative Program: Additional information is on the ACCESS Academy website.
- Educator Resources:Materials from multiple professional development sessions; documents for differentiation
- Forms: All Handouts, Brochures, Handbooks, Publications and Templates. Includes Bulletin Board materials for schools and Building TAG Plan templates.
- Community Resources & Links
- Acceleration Options