Inclement Weather Information
Weather and Emergency Closures
PPS snow bus stop locations and routes will be updated by November 10th, 2014. If you have questions, please call PPS Transportation Services at 503-916-6901.
*In the rare event PPS calls a 2 hour late opening on a day your school has a scheduled late opening, school will start 2 hours later than your normal bell time -- not 2 hours later than your late opening time. For example if your normal bell time is 8:00 AM, your scheduled late start time is 10:00 AM, and the district calls a 2 hour late opening due to inclement weather, your school will start at 10:00 AM.
Delays and closures
The district has two options in the event of bad weather: Delay school openings for two hours or close the schools altogether. Before deciding which to do, district officials consult with local meteorologists, city transportation officials and PPS transportation staff in the field.
School delay and closure information is relayed in a variety of ways:
- The district instantly publishes the information through Flash Alerts. Television and radio stations get their information from this service, but sometimes their broadcast of updates are delayed. If you have internet access, the link above is the first place you should check for weather-related closure information. The site is available 24 hours a day.
- An automated phone call is sent to affected families.
- The district has set up a Twitter feed to relay closure, delay and emergency information at no cost. You may sign up to receive the free alerts at www.twitter.com. Simply search PPSAlerts and click "follow". If you do not already have one, you will need to set up a Twitter account.
- To receive text message alerts, simply text @portlandschools to 23559.
- Information is also posted on the PPS facebook page.
Individual school decisions
The district may close or delay schools at higher elevations while keeping schools at lower elevations open. For example, Skyline, West Sylvan and Forest Park might open two hours late with all other schools opening on time.
The Board of Education has built into the calendar up to three replacement days in the event of school closures.