PAT Contract Talks
Teams from Portland Public Schools (PPS) and the Portland Association of Teachers (PAT) are bargaining a new contract for Portland’s 2,800 teachers. This contract sets many rules that affect the quality of education your student receives. These include:
- Learning time for students.
- How teachers are hired and assigned.
- Pay and benefits for teachers.
This page provides information about the bargaining process and about important issues in the talks.
PPS Tentative Agreements (PDF)
PPS Final Offer (PDF)
PAT Final Offer (PDF)
- February 13, 2014: Superintendent's message to families
- January 30, 2014: Superintendent Carole Smith's Message to PPS Community
- January 30, 2014: PPS statement on PAT decision to schedule strike vote
- January 17, 2014: Teacher contract talks stall without agreement
- January 13, 2014: School district, teachers continue talks
- January 08, 2014: School board makes statement on talks
- January 07, 2014: No agreement yet for PPS, PAT
- January 05, 2014: PPS, PAT enter round-the-clock negotiations
- December 19, 2013: Talks yield more agreements, more talks scheduled
- December 18, 2013: PPS and PAT mediation yields more agreements; talks continue today
- December 10, 2013: District, teachers log more progress in talks
- December 06, 2013: Teachers, district report progress in talks
- December 02, 2013: Portland Public Schools’ statement on unfair labor practice complaint filed by PAT
- November 27, 2013: PPS provides final contract offer to PAT and state mediator
- November 22, 2013: PPS addresses inaccurate representations of school district offer by PAT
- November 20, 2013: PPS reaches impasse in bargaining with PAT
- November 19, 2013: Bargaining teams meet but make no progress
- November 18, 2013: PPS offers workload contract proposal; negotiations set for today
- November 12, 2013: School board directs bargaining team to press ahead for teacher contract
- November 06, 2013: PPS offers new salary increase, workload proposal
Perspectives on PAT Contract Talks