Full-Day , Half-Day, and Fee-for-Service Kindergarten
Fee-based and free kindergarten
Schools receiving federal funds for full-day kindergarten
(parents don't pay)
Arleta, Astor, Boise-Eliot, Bridger, Cesar Chavez, Chief Joseph,
Creston, Faubion, Grout, Harrison Park, James John, Kelly, King, Lee, Lent, Marysville, Ockley Green,
Peninsula, Rigler, Rosa Parks, Scott, Sitton, Vernon, Vestal, Whitman,
Woodlawn, and Woodmere.
Schools with fee-for-service kindergarten (schools in bold are new to fee-based K for 2013-14)
Note: Families eligible for free and reduced-priced meals don't pay tuition
Abernethy, Ainsworth, Alameda, Atkinson, Beach, Beverly Cleary, Bridlemile, Buckman, Capitol Hill,
Chapman, Creative Science School, Duniway, Forest Park, Glencoe, Hayhurst/Odyssey, Irvington, Laurelhurst, Lewis, Llewellyn, Maplewood, Markham, MLC, Richmond, Rieke, Roseway Heights, Sabin, Skyline, Stephenson, Sunnyside, Winterhaven, and Woodstock
NEW: For the 2015-16 school year, kindergarten will be full day (6 hours) and free to all families in Portland Public Schools.
Information below is for the current 2014-15 school year only
Every elementary or K-8 school in PPS offers full-day kindergarten. In Oregon, the state covers only the cost of half-day kindergarten. As a result, the second half of the school day is either covered through federal funding (free to parents) or is tuition based (paid by parents) and called "fee-for-service"kindergarten (scholarships are available to qualifying families).
Fee-for-Service Kindergarten -
The last year of fee-for-service kindergarten is the 2014-15 school year. Beginning 2015-16, full-day kindergarten will be free to parents. Fee-for-service kindergarten is a district program in which families pay tuition for the second half of the day. Tuition for the 2014-15school year is $400 per month, September through May or $3,600 for the school year.
To enroll in full-day, fee-for-service kindergarten, please go to your school to pick up a registration packet.
- The packet includes a fee-for-service kindergarten contract (Spanish)All parents with children in full-day fee-based kindergarten sign a contract whether or not they are paying. Spanish, Mandarin
- Payment plan options include auto payments by credit card or auto withdrawal (Spanish) from a bank account. Parents can also pay monthly by sending the district a personal check or they can pay the entire amount at once.
- Financial aid is available for eligible families. Scroll down for more information.
Payment information: For receipts, PPS Tax I.D. number, account information, or to update your credit card number or expiration date, email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include child's name, school, customer number (if you know it). Or call 503-916-3005. Mail payments to: Portland Public Schools, P.O. Box 3107, Portland OR 97208-3107 Attn: Accounts Receivable.
Financial Aid (Spanish): If you have received an eligibility letter from Nutrition Services noting you qualify for Free or Reduced-priced meals, then you will receive a waiver and not need to pay tuition.
- Tuition waivers are available for families who qualify for the Free and Reduced-priced Meals program (income cut-off is approximately $3,600/month for a family of 4), for families with a foster child, and for families repeating kindergarten (and enrolled in a PPS school).
- To indicate that you will be requesting a tuition waiver, check the Tuition Waiver box in section 3 on the Fee-for-Service kindergarten contract.
- In August, the district will send you information to confirm your eligiblity.
- If you qualify for the federal Free or Reduced-priced Meals program (FARM), you will qualify for a tuition waiver and not have to pay tuition.
- Tuition Discounts are available to families who do not qualify for FARM but whose income is 250% of the poverty rate or less (approximately $4,900 for a family of 4). Tuition discounts are 50% of the tuition rate. To determine your eligilbity, please check the Tuition Discount box in section 3 of your contract and attach a completed Tuition Discount Application (Spanish). Please deliver both the contract and the application form to the front desk of your school.
- Payment Plans: The district will work with you to develop an individual payment plan if you do not qualify for financial aid.
Half-day kindergarten is a free option for families whose neighborhood school offers only full-day, fee-for-service kindergarten. For important guidelines about half-day kindergarten, please click here.
District Contact Person:
For questions about full-day and half-day kindergarten, and fee-for-service kindergarten, please contact Nancy Hauth at 503-916-3230 or email@example.com