Full-Day , Half-Day, and Fee-for-Service Kindergarten
Fee-based and free kindergarten
Schools receiving federal funds for full-day kindergarten
(parents don't pay)
Arleta, Astor, Boise-Eliot, Bridger, Cesar Chavez,
Creston, Faubion, Grout, Harrison Park, James John, Kelly, King, Lee, Lent, Marysville, Ockley Green,
Peninsula, Rigler, Rosa Parks, Scott, Sitton, Vernon, Vestal, Whitman,
Woodlawn, and Woodmere.
Schools with fee-for-service kindergarten (schools in bold are new to fee-based K for 2013-14)
Note: Families eligible for free and reduced-priced meals don't pay tuition
Abernethy, Ainsworth, Alameda, Atkinson, Beach, Beverly Cleary, Bridlemile, Buckman, Capitol Hill,
Chapman, Chief Joseph, Creative Science School, Duniway, Forest Park, Glencoe, Hayhurst/Odyssey, Irvington, Laurelhurst, Lewis, Llewellyn, Maplewood, Markham, MLC, Richmond, Rieke, Roseway Heights, Sabin, Skyline, Stephenson, Sunnyside, Winterhaven, and Woodstock
Every elementary or K-8 school in PPS offers full-day kindergarten. In Oregon, the state covers only the cost of half-day kindergarten. As a result, the second half of the school day is either covered through federal funding (free to parents) or is tuition based (paid by parents) and called "fee-for-service"kindergarten (scholarships are available to qualifying families).
Fee-for-service kindergarten is a district program in which families pay tuition for the second half of the day. Tuition for the 2013-14 school year is $365 per month, September through May or $3,285 for the school year.
To enroll in full-day, fee-for-service kindergarten, please go to your school to pick up a registration packet.
- The packet includes a fee-for-service kindergarten contract. All parents with children in full-day fee-based kindergarten sign a contract whether or not they are paying. Spanish, Mandarin
- Payment plan options include auto payments by credit card or auto withdrawal from a bank account. Parents can also pay monthly by sending the district a personal check or they can pay the entire amount at once.
- Financial aid is available for eligible families. Scroll down for more information.
Payment information: For receipts, PPS Tax I.D. number, account information, or to update your credit card number or expiration date, email: email@example.com and include child's name, school, customer number (if you know it). Or call 503-916-3005. Mail payments to: Portland Public Schools, P.O. Box 3107, Portland OR 97208-3107 Attn: Accounts Receivable.
- Tuition waivers are available for families who qualify for the Free and Reduced-priced Meals program (income cut-off is approximately $3,500/month for a family of 4), for families with a foster child, and for families repeating kindergarten (and enrolled in a PPS school).
- To indicate that you will be requesting a tuition waiver, check the Tuition Waiver box in section 3 on the Fee-for-Service kindergarten contract.
- In August, the district will send you information to confirm your eligiblity.
- If you qualify for the federal Free or Reduced-priced Meals program (FARM), you will qualify for a tuition waiver and not have to pay tuition.
- Tuition Discounts are available to families who do not qualify for FARM but whose income is 250% of the poverty rate or less (approximately $4,800 for a family of 4). Tuition discounts are typically 50% of the tuition rate. To determine your eligilbity, please check the Tuition Discount box in section 3 of your contract and attach a completed Tuition Discount Application . Please deliver both the contract and the application form to the front desk of your school.
Half-day kindergarten is a free option for families whose neighborhood school offers only full-day, fee-for-service kindergarten. For important guidelines about half-day kindergarten, please click here.
District Contact Person:
For questions about full-day and half-day kindergarten, and fee-for-service kindergarten, please contact Nancy Hauth at 503-916-3230 or firstname.lastname@example.org