Become a PPS Para-educator!
Translator & Site Search
The Google translation of this page's content may not be completely accurate. Please contact the Human Resources Department directly for clarification of official information.
Search Our Site:
What is a Para-educator?
A Special Education Para-educator supports the instructional program developed and directed by Special Education teachers and/or specialists for students with developmental and educational disabilities from birth through age 21.
What will I do?
Para-educators help students in the classroom, school district learning environments, work-sites, and community-based settings. As a para-educator substitute you will:
- Assist special-needs students in becoming productive in their learning environment.
- Support teachers and families in developing students’ skills and strengths needed to be successful.
Why should I become a Para-educator substitute?
- Gain work experience in a urban school district
- Work with diverse groups of students
- Learn about the variety of schools and programs offered at Portland Public Schools
What are the main qualifications?
- High school diploma or GED
- 2 years of college
- Experience with children and/or special needs
- Good communication skills
- First Aid and CPR certification, or ability to obtain
How do I get started?
Applying is easy. Here are ways to apply:
Follow the classified employment process, if you don’t have access to a computer, come to the Human Resources office and at 501 N. Dixon and we have one you can use.
Call Human Resources at 503-916-3544 and we can help you get started.