Handbook-Welcome and Job Description
Welcome to the Portland Public School District. As a member of the substitute secretary staff you are a vital part of our school system. Your administrative support is key to the continued success of all our students and staff. It takes a special person to be able to manage the school office in the absence of the building secretary. We appreciate your commitment to our District and our children.
We hope your experience with Portland Public School is enjoyable. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.
This handbook, along with assistance from school principal and school secretary, will enable you to assist us in meeting the educational needs of our students.
Have a great year.
Department of Human Resources
The Mission of Portland Public Schools is to support all students in achieving their very highest educational and personal potential, to inspire in them an enduring love for learning, and to prepare them to contribute as citizens of a diverse, multicultural, and international community.
This job posting is to establish an applicant pool and will be used to fill temporary and on-call openings as they occur. Work locations and work hours may vary, which will be explained at time of interview.
Under general supervision, the School Secretary is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the office. This support includes meeting the needs of all who call or visit the school office, provides a high level of customer service, data entry, filing, correspondence and preparing administrative reports as directed.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Operates standard office machines and equipment.
- Types reports.
- Answers multi-line telephones, records messages accurately and receives visitors.
- Distributes materials to staff members.
- Uses personal initiative to cooperate in performing other related duties.
- Monitor sign in/out and destination sheets.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Training in general secretarial skills and computer.
- Minimum of one year of secretarial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to type at a correct speed of 60 w.p.m.
- Proficient in grammar, spelling, punctuation, computational and clerical record keeping skills.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment, system data entry and retrieval equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality, good judgment, tact and diplomacy.
Submit the following online at our website at www.pps.k12.or.us: The District's electronic Classified Application form with an attached resume.
Keyboard, E-mail, Spreadsheets, Word Processing, Internet, Databases, Other
Accounting, Calculator/10 Key, Copy Machine, Data Entry, Filing, Receptionist, Payroll