Choosing Your School
Will your child start kindergarten, middle or high school in September? Or are you looking to transfer to another PPS school from you current school? If the answer is yes, you and your student are making an important school transition. How should you choose the right school?
For most Portland families, their neighborhood school is the best match. Families looking for another setting may apply for transfer through the School Choice lottery which begins each year in late January or early February.Considering a transfer?
The School Choice transfer cycle is closed for PPS residents for the 2014-15 school year. The date of the 2015-16 transfer cycle will be posted in January. School Choice transfers were determined through a centralized lottery, and space was limited. Lottery results were mailed within four to six weeks after the transfer deadline.
Transfer Process Information
Learn more about the process through the following information:
- Toolbox on School Choice (contains helpful links to look up school information)
- Lottery Logic for the 2014-15 transfer cycle
- Transfer Policy (4.10.051-P)
- Transfer Administrative Directive (4.10.054-AD)
- Student Assignment Review & School Boundary Changes (4.10.049-AD)
- Jefferson-area 8th graders: Choosing a high school
All Jefferson area 8th graders need to choose Jefferson or their assigned comprehensive high school. Click here for information & dual-assignment form.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Expectations of Students/Checklist (English)
Learn more about special circumstances.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Enrollment and Transfer Center at 503-916-3205.