School Choice Transfer Process

Petition Transfer Requests | Focus Option Lottery | Inter-District Transfers

Great Schools, Great Neighborhoods.
Will your child start kindergarten, middle school or high school in August? Most families find that their neighborhood school is the best fit for their child. Families seeking to enroll a child are encouraged to attend the open house at their neighborhood school held between mid-January and early March each year. A complete listing is posted at

Families may also apply to transfer to a different PPS school.

Petition Transfer Requests
Transfer to a PPS neighborhood school outside the neighborhood in which you live is through a petition request. Access to some focus option grade levels is also done through petition.

What: In a petition, families explain why their child needs to transfer. PPS evaluates all reasons and also takes into consideration whether there is space available at the requested school.

When: Petition requests may be submitted at any time. But for the best chance of placement, PPS encourages families to submit petitions by June for the next school year.     

How: Petition forms are available through the link on the right.  

More information about the petitions: 

Focus Option Lottery Transfers
Transfer to focus options such as language immersion programs and arts/science-based schools occurs through an annual computerized lottery. Applications will be available when the transfer cycle opens.  Upcoming transfer dates for the 2016-17 school year:

  • High school lottery opens February 3 @ 8 am and closes February 17 @ 5 pm
  • Elementary/middle school lottery opens February 18 @ 8 am and closes March 9 @ 5 pm
  • Separate interdistrict and pre-kindergarten lotteries will be held later in the spring
More focus option lottery information

Inter-District Transfer Requests
Students who live in the boundaries of other school districts may request transfer into PPS schools, and students who live in the PPS district may ask for permission to attend schools in other districts. There are state laws that govern the inter-district transfer process. Generally, transfer decisions are made in the spring for the following school year. Sign up through the link on the right to receive updates on inter-district transfers into PPS. [Read More]

Additional Transfer Process Information

Other Application Types
Learn more about other application types.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Enrollment and Transfer Center at 503-916-3205.