PPS School Curriculum
Follow the link above for more information.
Portland Public Schools will implement and support a common core curriculum providing:
- Greater equity of student outcomes
- Consistent and reliable teaching and learning goals
- Clear organization
- Multiple teaching resources
- Systems to monitor progress
- Portland Public Schools has at the center of all classroom practice an agreed upon set of standards that serve as a road map for instruction.
- There are clear grade level/course expectations.
- Literacy standards are taught in all areas.
- Portland Public Schools recognizes the critical role of the classroom practitioner in raising learner achievement. Effective classroom instruction draws upon a set of high-leverage strategies and techniques that maximize learner engagement through strategic and differentiated teaching.
- All teachers use high-leverage strategies and participate in ongoing professional development based on those strategies.
- Portland Public Schools provides all teachers with materials and resources that offer opportunities for varying levels of instructional supports.
- All teachers have appropriate materials needed to address the needs of our diverse populations through interventions and enhancements.
- Teachers supplement these core resources and materials with their own creativity and innovation.
- Teachers combine common instructional strategies with materials in effective planning.
High School Curriculum Guides:
Assessment and Common Assignments
- Portland Public Schools utilizes a common set of performance-based assessments and assignments at every grade level to monitor student achievement.
- Data is used to inform instruction and school improvement plans.
- Instruction is based on assessment benchmarks.