Handouts & Materials
- Adapting Historic Schools
- Historic Presentations
- Past Events
- Adapting Historic Schools for the Future
Video & Media
The latest video and media components related to Buildings and Learning [view gallery]
Many Portland Public School buildings are historically significant and they are often integral to the fabric and character of Portland’s neighborhoods. These historic buildings help to make our communities more livable as well as instilling civic pride and a sense of place.
PPS Historic Building Assessment
In summer 2009, Portland Public Schools initiated a comprehensive district-wide historical assessment of neighborhood school buildings. Entrix, Inc.’s team of architectural historians, conducted the historic building assessment of all PPS buildings constructed prior to 1979. This research included site visits and a comparative assessment of the school buildings to:
- Identify their character-defining features.
- Assess their comparative levels of historical integrity.
- Evaluate their eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
Facilities Historic Building Assessment | WPA Mural Recovery
- Architectural Heritage Center
- Bureau of Planning and Sustinability - Historic Resources and Preservation
- CEFPI - A Primer for the Renovation/Rehabilitation of Older and Historic Schools
- The Greenest Building: Quantifying the Environmental Value of Building Reuse
- Historic Landmarks Commission
- Historic Preservation League of Oregon
- National Trust for Historic Preservation - Community Centered Schools
- Oregon Revised Statute 358.653 - Protection of Publicly Owned Historic Properties
- Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
- Place Economics
- The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of HIstoric Properties