The Citizens Bond Accountability Committee (BAC) is a mix of individuals with a reputation for fairness and transparency and experience in building design, construction, public contracting, budgeting, and/or auditing. Read the Citizens Bond Accountability Committee charter.
The next BAC meeting is Wednesday, April. 15th from 4:30p.m.- 6:30p.m at Tubman School 2231 N. Flint Ave. Portland.
The seven-member committee meets quarterly to review bond funded projects and offer advice to the
School Board, on:
- Whether bond revenues are expended only for the purpose for which the bond was approved
- Alignment with the goals and principles of the district’s Long Range Facilities Plan
- Alignment with the goals of the Business Equity Policy
- Lowering maintenance and construction costs while improving operating efficiency
- Historic preservation and school renovation
- Potential capital partnerships for joint and shared use of PPS facilities
- Implementation of appropriate ways to address seismic issues
- Compliance with ADA requirements
- Kevin Spellman, Committee Chair, retired construction contractor and management
- Louis Fontenot, Development Manager, Trammell Crow Company
- Cheryl Twete, Community Development Director, City of Beaverton
- Steve March, Auditor, Multnomah County
- John Mohlis, Executive Secretary, Oregon State Building Trades Council
- Willy Paul, Executive Director, Kaiser National Facilities Services
- Tom Peterson, Chief Engineer, Port of Portland
Bond Performance Audits
Also built into the PPS School Building Improvement Bond are annual, independent financial and performance audits that are presented to the Bond Accountability Committee and school board.The first of four annual performance audits of the Bond program was presented to the school board in June of 2014. The audits are undertaken by the firm Hirsh and Associates and encompasses the Bond work from the beginning of the program in November of 2012 through March of 2014. View the first performance audit here.