The $482 million school construction bond -- approved by voters in Nov. 2012 -- prioritizes: high schools, seismic upgrades, increased accessibility and existing partnerships that include capital funding commitments that leverage bond funds. The bond will fund school upgrades that will:
- Replace leaking, worn or deteriorating school roofs.
- Renovate Franklin High School, Grant High School and Roosevelt High School, and replace Faubion PreK-8 school. (It will also begin planning for the upgrade of all high schools in coming years.)
- Reinforce schools against earthquakes.
- Repay previous loans that funded 9 roof replacements, 47 boiler conversions, and the Rosa Parks School.
- Increase access to schools for students, teachers and visitors with disabilities.
- Upgrade science classrooms at middle grade schools.
Bond-funded work will begin in summer 2013 and include necessary improvements to schools across the district. Roosevelt High School will be the first school to be fully modernized. Planning will begin this spring with construction beginning in Jan. 2015.
|Educational specifications||1/13||8/13||Develop aligned documents that connect program & curriculum to the “built environment”|
|Project improvements 2013||9/12||9/13||Roofing, seismic, ADA & science labs at six schools|
|Roosevelt HS||6/13||9/17||Full Modernization|
|Franklin HS||7/13||9/17||Full Modernization|
|Project improvements 2014||8/13||9/14||Roofing, seismic, ADA & science labs|
|Master Plan 1||11/13||6/15|
|Master Plan 2||7/14||12/15|
|Project improvements 2015||8/14||9/15||Roofing, seismic, ADA & science labs|
|Grant HS||7/15||9/19||Full Modernization|
|Project improvements 2016||8/15||9/16||Roofing, seismic, ADA & science labs|
|Remaining Master Plans & Project Improvements||2016||2020||Master Plans 3, 4, 5 & 6 start in 2016, 2018, 2019 & 2020. Project improvements 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 start in 2016, 2017, 2018,2019 respectively|